Crisper shifting

yeachan153
yeachan153 Posts: 401
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Is there a 8 speed derailleur out there compatible with the shimano 2300 that shifts more cleanly?

Second question, can I, if its compatible replace the front stock mech with a 105 or ultegra for better shifting?

Don't really need a new groupset as I spend most my time on the hoods anyway

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    As long as they've not been damaged and they're not very very old, the derailleurs are pretty much the last parts I'd change to improve shifting. I'd be looking at installation details first (alignment, positioning and limit screw adjustment etc.), followed by cables, mech hangers and frame straightness and finally shifter condition (frayed cables within the shifter and shifter lubrication).
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • yeachan153
    yeachan153 Posts: 401
    Yes I agree but this is the 2300 derailleur. Even if I aligned it properly and put gore cables etc etc it's simply not worth it because at the end of the day its not going to shift that well. My LBS did my last gear adjustment properly, it still had the clunky feeling that a lower end derailleur has, even though the indexing/shifting in itself was excellent.
  • rpd_steve
    rpd_steve Posts: 361
    I had 2300 and when I set it it would shift as cleanly, fast and accurately as Ultegra and my current Campagnolo carbon group.

My suspisions would be that your rear derailer hanger is bent, or your cables are dud, or the mech is drty and not moving freely. The mechs only shift the chain over a set distance - a better or 'higher' mech will not improve the shifting, it will just be lighter.

Shift quality is down to the gears - the rear shifting can be improved somewhat by upgrading the cassette to an older 8 speed 105, and the fron would need new chain wheels with improved pins and ramps.

But like I said, 2300 SHOULD shift as well as an £800 gear set, all be it that is is much heaver and a little more 'solid', i.e. you fee the shifts happen like a campag group, where as higher shimarno you almost dont notice the shift.

If your bike shop cant make it shift crisply, find another shop - its simple stuff. Either the hanger is bent, or it is not indexed correctly.

To index:
    - shif to smallest cog on the rear, biggest on front
    -Shift up to the 3rd from smallest cog on rear
    -That should take exactly 3 clicks oof movement on the brake leaver, if it needs more tighten the cable adjuster, and loosen if it needs less
    -Once it shifts exactly 1 cog per click, put the chain on the 3rd or 4th cog on the back and look at exactly where the chain is running on the cog. It should be perfectly centered between the nabouring cogs. Tighten cable tension to move chain towards the wheel, loosen to move away from wheel.

You should have perfect shifting. IT IS POSSIBLE, i did it myself with 2300 on a few weeks ago. Do ask if you need any pointers.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Well, if you really want to ditch it you can put any Shimano-compatible derailleur on and it will work. Indexing is determined by the shifter.

I should add that the £6 Tourney shifter and 8-speed MTB shifters that came with my £169 hybrid a few years ago shifted every bit as well as the 105 equipment I now use on my road bike.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}