Buying my first womens mountain bike - In need of dire help!

rl9018
rl9018 Posts: 5
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi everyone!

I'm new to bikeradar and in need of lots and lots of help for buying my first mountain bike. I am so lost and overwhelmed by all the information, what to buy/not to buy, which is the best brands etc. I think nearly every thread I have read has at least 1 conflicting opinion against EVERY bike. So hard to make a decision! So, I was wondering if anyone out there could help me. I am ideally wanting a mountain bike to go on woodland trails/forest trails, a women's mountain bike, high quality components, no more than £700 (from what I've seen this could be tricky for a well made mtb)and a bike that wont be too sluggish. I have looked at the Carrera Vulcan, seen so much conflicting stories that it has kind of put me off of it. I have been looking at Giant bikes (cant decide which one though) was recommended Giant as a great make. Anyone know a model that would be well suited? Also, till very recently been very much in favour for a Boardman mtb. However, once again slightly hesitant due to the fact a lot of people were saying that it is very much made to look good but doesn't handle so good. An essential I would like on my "ideal bike" would be hydraulic disc brakes. I hope I haven't just described an impossibly ridiculous bike that cant possibly be made (we'll put it down to me being a rookie if it turns that way!) Fingers crossed someone out there has thee perfect recommendation of a bike for me!! Many many thanks in advance :)

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    First off you don't "need" a women's bike - geomery can vary so much between brands than some men's bikes have more womanly angles than others ladies bikes! Sure they will have more comfortable saddles, but this is an easy swap. Go for wht fits and feels best.

What you have heard about Boardman is untrue. They are great bikes, with neutral geometry, well specced and always get reviewed well. Would be the first bike I recommend at your budget:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... e=shopping

Has an air fork so easy to set to your weight, and a great mix of parts. They do a ladies version too, so can compare!

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 65499#tab2
  • Slow Loris
    Slow Loris Posts: 128
    Well you're in the right place for some dire help :wink:
    2011 Genesis Latitude
    2009 GT Transeo 3.0
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    My wife rides a 'male' geometry bike; Trek 8000.

If you are willing, you could pick up a very good second hand bike for that money; such as Trek, Specilized, GT or Orange to name a few with something like a air fork e.g. Rock Shox Reba.

In my experience, the most important thing to look out for when buying a bike for the fairer sex is the colour.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Do you keep the little woman barefoot and pregnant as well?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • My wife has the Boardman and loves it! Would get my vote :D
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My Daughter (bike fit wise) is the embodyment of anti-women with large hands and short legs, she'd never get on a womens bike, it just wouldn't fit! You just have to find what suites YOU.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • warrerj
    warrerj Posts: 665
    THE KEY is get a bike that FITS!

Go to a GOOD local bike shop (or even a few) and try as many as you can and get as much help as you can to get a bike that fits.

My wife who's 4'10" rides a men's XS size giant Trance X2 as it's the best fit for her and a 14" mens Handsome Dog Arrow hardtail. From what I've seen "women's specific" bikes fit very few women!
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Totally agree with the above comments - go with what fits you and what you like the feel of. It's no good going for the most recommended bike if it feels rubbish in your opinion :wink:

Bizarrely, I am one of the few girls who seems to fit womens specific bikes. I'm a bit of a shortie at 5ft 4" and can sometimes feel a bit too 'stretched' on blokes bikes - although to be honest that would be easily remedied with a different stem etc.

I would honestly try as many bikes as you can, and when you find one that feels right for you go with it. From what i've read Boardman could well be a good place to start :D

Good luck with the bike hunt!!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I don't get why manufacturers make women's specific bikes anymore aside from the colours, particularly the lower standover height. I'm fairly sure that was only ever introduced so women could wear skirts on bikes?!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    ilovedirt wrote:
    I don't get why manufacturers make women's specific bikes anymore aside from the colours, particularly the lower standover height. I'm fairly sure that was only ever introduced so women could wear skirts on bikes?!

If it's just a bit lower, it's because with "typical" proportions women tend to shorter legs per height than men. On the other hand, it's a pretty marginal difference with a fair bit of overlap, so it's only a consideration if (as everyone else says) the rest of the geometry suits you

If it's an old-fashioned drop frame (top tube parallel to down tube), it's to allow the rider to wear a skirt. Relatively few people do this on MTBs, although my friend wore an item of tennis wear called a "skort" (lycra shorts and lycra skirt combined, in pink) on her bike at least once last year.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er