Help with 'Holux GPSport 260' Computer

durhamwasp
durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Hi,

Ive just bought said GPS Computer and im having no end of problems, wondered if anyone can help.

First of all, when i plug in the computer via USB it will not correctly install the necessary driver. I went to Holux's site and manually tried, but still when i plug in the Computer it doesnt recognise it on my laptop.

Secondly, when i go into the Holux EZtour Plus program it comes up with a message about Google disabling the use of MAPS API for this application.

Don't know what to try next...i can use it on my bike, but obviously want it to link with my laptop.

Cheers in advance!
http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....

Comments

• thegodplato
    thegodplato Posts: 319
    hope you get some answers/help for this as I was looking at getting one in the next week or so. Where did you get yours? Others on here think they are good especially as they are quite a bit cheaper than a GArmin 200
    2012 Bianchi Via Nirone Xenon

960 miles in 8 days starting 6th April 2013
    www.justgiving.com/teams/cyclemadness

cyclemadness.blogspot.co.uk
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    I've been using one of these for four months now and i'd give it ten out of ten in every respect.

As regards the issue, apparently there were some problems with google maps changing something or other (API key?) recently. I emailed the Holux support team and received instruction to download the new version of EZtour +. It is very clear from e-mail they sent me (since deleted, sorry) which version to download.

I think you'll be able to get this sorted fairly easily.

If you're not sure, pm 'Dabber' he has one (and is a little more tech savvy than me, in fact he was very helpful when I purchased mine) I'm certain he'll be able to help you.

Begin by downloading the most recent version of EZ tour+ though.

Good luck
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,974
    Jim has faith in me, let's hope it's not misplaced. :shock:
    Here's an extract from the email I received from Holux......

On 26th March 2012 Google changed the API for use with its Google Maps software. They did this without notice or warning.

Holux have therefore had to modify their EZTour software to work with the new API in order for Holux devices to continue to be able to export files for use with Google Maps.

Please note that this is not Holux’s fault in any way and they have worked very hard to address the matter in a very short space of time.

The updated software versions are now available to download free of charge – see below.

Please read the instructions below carefully.

EZTour Plus for FunTrek 130, FunTrek 130 Pro, GPSport 260 and 260 Pro (all models)

Applies to FunTrek 130, FunTrek 130 Pro, GPSport 260 and 260 PRO

The updated version of the EZTour Plus software is Version 3.1

This is available to download here: Please scroll down the page – it’s the second item.

http://market.holux.com/Software/SU/
    Before installing please uninstall all previous versions of the EZTour software.

I did the uninstall and then the download and all worked fine. the driver did take a few minutes to install.

HTH
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • thegodplato
    thegodplato Posts: 319
    That looks like good news and seemingly more convinced that its a good product and better priced. Can anyone say where they got there's from. Holux 260 I've seen for £79.95 plus delivery on Ebay or £68 if I want a risk from the Far East.
    2012 Bianchi Via Nirone Xenon

960 miles in 8 days starting 6th April 2013
    www.justgiving.com/teams/cyclemadness

cyclemadness.blogspot.co.uk
  • dabber
    I got my 260 Pro package from here... http://www.holux-uk.co.uk/outdoor-gps.php?ca=53

They were responsive when I had a small query I wanted clarification on.

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Paid £80 for it.

Ive been in touch with Holux and they are gonna send me some instructions. I managed to sort the issue with Google Maps out myself, but thanks for the help with that anyway!

But, i still cannot get the driver installed for the unit itself. When i plug it in the USB port the message comes up in bottom right about loading appropriate drivers, and then after a few seconds trying, it fails. This means i cant use my data with EZTour.

Hopefully Holux can sort me out with that!
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • dabber
    Have you tried downloading the device driver as a seperate download (as opposed to it being part of the EZ software)?

It seems to be available here... http://www.holux.com/JCore/en/support/downloadCenter.jsp

You'll find it towards the bottom of that link. There are 3 device drivers there ...
    MAC 10-X, Win xp, Win 7

I haven't needed to do this myself so can't advise any more in that respect.
    However, when I initially took delivery and of the Holux and did the EZ suite install it was very simple.
    After I received the notification (posted previously) about the need to download a later version my Vista laptop took a few minutes to find and install the DD.