How do you know...

DCR00
DCR00 Posts: 2,160
edited April 2012 in MTB general
...when you have truly performed a bunny hop ?

Was out for a quick mooch on the bike this afternoon and was practising. Now i def got the bike off the ground, front and back wheels, but im not sure whether i was using momentum/suspension or whether it was actual skill

How will i know short of filming myself ? Does it matter ? (in my head, yes it does)

DCR

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    If you don't have clips on then any air on the rear is a bunnyhop (if it's not an endo or manual).

Just lay some things down, like a brick and work you way upwards.
  • I would agree that so long as your not clipped in (which is cheating, obviously), then it's all good.

However, there's probably a difference between a 'speed hop' and a 'bunny hop':

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40028&t=12735192&hilit=speed+bunny+hop
  • DCR00
    having looked again at the vid in the link (this was my original reference), i think im 2/3rds of the way there. The scoop is the missing part i think. That said, i think i nailed the scoop a couple of times..

Need practice
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    All I know is the rear wheel is welded to the ground when I try. Only an actual jump or drop gets both my wheels off the ground, and even then the rear still attracts to the ground and tries to make me nose dive.

I've read all the instructions on the bunny hop, seen the videos. Just can't coordinate everything to get the rear to pick up.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    try it with SPDs it's really easy :)
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Come on!! man up and get the hop sorted its really really easy!!!

I take it you can all get the front up so the back is done by scooping but this is where your all going "can't do it".

get against a wall/fence apply the front brake and push backwards with your feet the back wheel will come up, the scoop it esentially this but you push back and up.

When your starting out don't worry to much about height or landing heavy front first.

once you can get the rear up put a stick on the floor and roll over it but hop the back over it, once your comfy doing that add in the front and your away.

Also as a side note, if you can't bunny hop your jumping will suffer as its an essential part of the jumping process.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • DCR00
    deadkenny wrote:
    All I know is the rear wheel is welded to the ground when I try. Only an actual jump or drop gets both my wheels off the ground, and even then the rear still attracts to the ground and tries to make me nose dive.

I've read all the instructions on the bunny hop, seen the videos. Just can't coordinate everything to get the rear to pick up.

the scoop was the hardest part for me

i watched the vid in that link and it really helped
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    DCR00 wrote:
    You will have a flock of adoring bunnies hunt you down to mate with you, due to your enormous prowess at jumping.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 wrote:
    You will have a flock of adoring bunnies hunt you down to mate with you, due to your enormous prowess at jumping.

awesome
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    That's why we red blooded males here in Wales do the lambhop.
    And you foreign idiots thought we were saying "lamb chop" duuuuh! :lol:
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    go charging down the trail round the corner and find a tree or something across the trail you will soo learn to bunyhop..

practice on a hardtail with flats on you will soon get the hang of it best thing is to practice on a carpark jumping the white line then a small stick or a can on its side.. then look at bunnyhoping onto the kerb..
    just takes a litle practice to learn the timing of the compress pop and scoop..
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I do the hop over downed (small) trees often when flying along a trail. Front goes over fine but the rear will clip the tree and roll over it.

Finding the hard tail is easier to jump so maybe that's how I should practice. On that note, I find if it's a proper jump, once in the air I can move the rear about and maybe I'm doing what I should be for a hop. It's just getting the thing off the ground in the first place when there's no kicker of a jump to throw me in the air. Lifting the front and shifting weight about, the rear just seems to be an anchor to the ground. But big-ass AM bike perhaps is not the way to learn it.