Rear suspension unit for the more carthorse like rider

the phantom pieman
the phantom pieman Posts: 165
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
My faithful patriot 66 has been getting some use over the last week or so , and seeing it functioning well with a somewhat lighter rider on board (80 kgs vs 135kg) got me wondering if the was better rear unit ( I still have the original manitou 2 way air one). When I ride it gets pumped up really hard to set the sag - and I assume sooner or later it will blow ( even thought it hasn't yet and rarely bottoms out).

a) Would a coil unit work better? and can it cope with my weight?
b) Is there a robust air sprung unit that will cope with bloaters who still think they are 25?
Cotic Soul
Cotic BFe
Cotic Road Rat
Orange Patriot (2006 version)

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If the pressure is within limits, it shouldn't blow.

A coil unit would work no better, but differently (will not ramp up as much, and a little smoother on smaller stuff - generally) - you'd have to find the correct spring.

If the Mantiu works, and you can get the damping adjustment you need, just ride it!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    It is a pretty rubbish shock. I'm also a bloater (16 stone at the moment but dropping fast) & I'm running a Fox Van RC coil shock with a 700lb spring & my last bike had a Fox RP2, both worked extremely well when set up right.
    Depending on the linkage rate on your bike it might be difficult to get a stiff enough coil spring to suit your weight.
  • I was just about to the the first piece of advise there ...
    Why do you think they are rubbish ? I would say "ok" but not strictly rubbish!
    Cotic Soul
    Cotic BFe
    Cotic Road Rat
    Orange Patriot (2006 version)
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    As a DH shock it's one of the worst I have ridden, unless the one on my friends Patriot is just in very bad condition.
    Manitou shocks are generally not particularly good.