Proper Biker Now

thegodplato
thegodplato Posts: 319
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
now that I've managed to take a tumble at the traffic lights this afternoon. Twisted my knee and pulled my left calf muscle. Oh well, at least the bike didn't take too much damage, only had her a week!
2012 Bianchi Via Nirone Xenon

960 miles in 8 days starting 6th April 2013
www.justgiving.com/teams/cyclemadness

cyclemadness.blogspot.co.uk

Comments

• ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    don't worry i did the same when i started last year. i had one foot down and for some reason when i set off i tried to put the clipped in foot down and went over in front of lovely drivers! i scrambled up and inspected the bike as if something was wrong with the bike and no me lol
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • thegodplato
    Was trying to balance a bit and expected the car in front to set off a bit quicker. It didn't, I went over splat onto the path. At least a guy in the next car wound down his window to check I was alright ( with my right leg stuck in the air still attached to the pedal! His kids in the back all with their mouths open wide in shock! ). Its quite embarrassing! Scuffed the handlebar tape and the end cap, and the pedal. Also somehow managed to knock the front derraileur out so I couldn't change up to the big gear for the remaining 8miles home.
    Only had the bike just under 2 weeks too. So annoying.

• flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Don't worry everyone does it at least once, fortunately for me it was 7 on a Sunday morning, only one car in sight and I made sure I didn't make eye contact!
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    that day i described in my post before, i actually fell about 7 times that day! don worry
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • thegodplato
    ianbar wrote:
    that day i described in my post before, i actually fell about 7 times that day! don worry

Now I don't feel so daft - sorry!!

I'm quite surprised at how stiff I am after a little fall.

• Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    Yep, everyone does it.

My first clipless ride resulted in an embarrassing slow motion fall. I carried on for another 5 miles and halfway up the 'hill of death' I changed into a lower gear and the rear deraileur got caught up in the spokes (I hadn't realised I had bent the rear mech) Down I went again and then had to walk for 2 miles carrying my bike in bits to the nearest bike shop who fixed my 1 week old bike at a cost of £60.

I hope that makes you feel better :D
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285
    Though I've never done the full keel-over-in-slow-mo trick common to new clipless riders, an early clipless outing did result in a stationary fall to the right (the kerb side foot being unclipped) which I managed to catch by putting my left leg through the frame & onto the ground, then had to work out how to extricate myself from the man vs bike yoga position.
  • thegodplato
    Ringo 68 wrote:
    Yep, everyone does it.

My first clipless ride resulted in an embarrassing slow motion fall. I carried on for another 5 miles and halfway up the 'hill of death' I changed into a lower gear and the rear deraileur got caught up in the spokes (I hadn't realised I had bent the rear mech) Down I went again and then had to walk for 2 miles carrying my bike in bits to the nearest bike shop who fixed my 1 week old bike at a cost of £60.

I hope that makes you feel better :D

Yes, thanks!

• I fell over twice on my first ride with clipless pedals, first one was ontop of a mountain so there was no one around.
    The second one was at a junction outside a pub with about 5 people outside smoking, now that was an awkward moment lol.
    10 mile TT pb - 20:56 R10/17
    25 - 53:07 R25/7
    Now using strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/155152
  • zippy483
    zippy483 Posts: 104
    My last clip related tumble happened at the side of a bus full of school kids, you can imagine the hoots of derision :(

picked myself up and peddaled off, without looking to the side :)
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    Touch wood I have not had the clipless pedal fall yet, been using them for about a month now. The closest I got was on a commute, arriving at my works bike shed after beating my fasted time by 2 mins. I forgot about the clips as I was too busy looking at the stopwatch, lucky for me I was pulled up agaisnt the shed so caught my self with my hands. I am claiming that was my clipless fall in order to avoid another.
  • adam86
    adam86 Posts: 4
    DesB3rd wrote:
    Though I've never done the full keel-over-in-slow-mo trick common to new clipless riders, an early clipless outing did result in a stationary fall to the right (the kerb side foot being unclipped) which I managed to catch by putting my left leg through the frame & onto the ground, then had to work out how to extricate myself from the man vs bike yoga position.
    :lol::lol::lol: That's made me smile today. Sorry but Thank you
  • klep
    klep Posts: 158
    I'm sorry to hear... Falling always sucks!

My first time was on top of a mountain when I wasnt used to the cleats that well yet. The whole ride went fine and when I finally got to the top, I forgot I was wearing those shoes and wanted to step off the bike. I got out of balance and slowly fell to the right.
    Unfortunately this mountaintop was on a tourist place with great views on Mallorca so I felt quite embarrased...