It's 'elf and safety gorn mad

Peddle Up!
Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
edited April 2012 in The bottom bracket
A bit of welcome perspective from the people who know.
Purveyor of "up" :)

Comments

• ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    and remember 'GARDEN is and anagram for DANGER !
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Let me get his straight, those are the mythical 'crazzzzy' ones, the other health and safety rules out there are the real sensible ones then?
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Unfortunately, at the company I work for, we're not allowed Christmas decorations. Apparently they're deemed a distraction and a fire hazard.

F*cking ridiculous !!!
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    MattC59 wrote:
    Unfortunately, at the company I work for, we're not allowed Christmas decorations. Apparently they're deemed a distraction and a fire hazard.

F*cking ridiculous !!!

Haha I can top that I think, a course I was on wouldnt allow a disabled friend of mine into the classroom.....as being unable to quickly reach a fire escape he was classed as a fire hazard...haha, you gotta love the mind that thought up that beauty.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    MattC59 wrote:

F*cking ridiculous !!!

Haha I can top that I think, a course I was on wouldnt allow a disabled friend of mine into the classroom.....as being unable to quickly reach a fire escape he was classed as a fire hazard...haha, you gotta love the mind that thought up that beauty.

You may laugh, but the physically disabled are very flammable you know. :roll:
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    I had a planning application rejected for the revisions to my house to enable my MS suffering wife to continue to life in our home as (if) her condition worsens to the extent she is wheelchair bound - it was rejected by the local council on the grounds we live in a flood risk area, and making or enabling a wheelchair bound person able to live in a house which might flood would impose on the emergency and rescue services!
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Yepp, I had a planning application rejected because an existing internal doorway was 1 inch too narrow, which apparently meant that disabled access could be compromised...the fact that it was a basement flat with only steep stairs leading down to it wasn't a problem though.
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    H & S, I'd like to run this passed you. Its a track cycle race that I'm wanting to get on the boards because I reckon it could be very exciting to watch. There would be 40 plus riders on a 200 metre track in teams of two.After a couple of laps warm up one rider would circle the track and at the end of the lap hand over to the other rider by grabbing his hand and 'slinging' him forward. Since there would be other riders around doing the same thing, it would need some high speed maneuvers at 30 + mph. I don't think that there should be any crashes but with all that going on who knows. Every 4 laps say would be a sprint lap. The idea of the race is for team riders to gain a lap or more on the other riders with points being given for places in the sprint. I know at times it will look chaotic but with the riders weaving in and out of each other it would be great fun to watch.
    Anyway, H & S what do you think ? is it worth a go ?

If you were H & S what would you think? Me....I think its a total non starter you must be off your trolley!!!
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    cyco2 wrote:
    H & S, I'd like to run this passed you. Its a track cycle race that I'm wanting to get on the boards because I reckon it could be very exciting to watch. There would be 40 plus riders on a 200 metre track in teams of two.After a couple of laps warm up one rider would circle the track and at the end of the lap hand over to the other rider by grabbing his hand and 'slinging' him forward. Since there would be other riders around doing the same thing, it would need some high speed maneuvers at 30 + mph. I don't think that there should be any crashes but with all that going on who knows. Every 4 laps say would be a sprint lap. The idea of the race is for team riders to gain a lap or more on the other riders with points being given for places in the sprint. I know at times it will look chaotic but with the riders weaving in and out of each other it would be great fun to watch.

If you were H & S what would you think? Me....I think its a total non starter you must be off your trolley!!!

I think that H&S would say go ahead, given the number of other dangerous sports which people legally participate in.
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Health & Safety nutters would probably ban sex on the grounds that it is possible to injure yourself, catch a cold and / or get a nasty friction burn :D

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    cyco2 wrote:

Don't give the H &S idiots any more ammo. If any of them read this, they might start looking into it! :mrgreen:
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    cyco2 wrote:

I am a Chartered Safety Practitioner and I say its not an issue with the controls in place. Its the non-qualified, non-accredited, give it a go people who make all the daft decissions - egged on by insurance companies and solicitors.

Proper H&S is about what risks you can take not about the things you cannot. Stuntmen have to (and do) comply with the same rules as everyone else you know.
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • redjeepǃ
    redjeepǃ Posts: 531
    How about a few more:

Banning kettles from an office environment for safety reasons.
    Enforcing cups with lids for any hot drink onsite.
    Training people how to walk up and down flights of steps, and sending safety auditors in at 2am to check people on the nightshift were following training.
    Preparing and presenting a mandatory document to all employees on how to open a (rotating) door.

and perhaps my favourite:

Handing out half a dozen drawing pins stuck into a small foam lined box, with outlines drawn for each pin. Pins to be signed in and out with admin (think somebody thought they were bullets).

Can't think of any more. The therapy must be working.
  • Coach H
    edited April 2012
    Redjeep! wrote:
    How about a few more:

Banning kettles from an office environment for safety reasons.We have a kettle in our office and it is occupied by 2 Chartered Safety Advisors, 2 Qaulified Safety Advisors and 2 ex-Senior Fire Officers. This is not a safety issue it is a petty officialdom issue
    Enforcing cups with lids for any hot drink onsite. Pretty pointless as the lids will likely not stop a big spill and may make you try to catch a falling cup. If onsite means outside this is not a bad idea to stop dust and the like in the drink, but hardly worth formally enforcing
    Training people how to walk up and down flights of steps, and sending safety auditors in at 2am to check people on the nightshift were following training.Checking if people are following training is called 'Supervision'. Safety Advisor does not mean 'Safety Policeman'
    Preparing and presenting a mandatory document to all employees on how to open a (rotating) door.Has there been a serious accident history with this door? If so is one of the root causes lack of understanding how to operate? If so you would be better off sorting the door as a far more reliable means of preventing an accident

and perhaps my favourite:

Handing out half a dozen drawing pins stuck into a small foam lined box, with outlines drawn for each pin. Pins to be signed in and out with admin (think somebody thought they were bullets).This comes from accounts not wanting to loose office supplies not H&S. or petty officialdom again

Can't think of any more. No genuine H&S issues here just petty officialdom by the uneducated and uninformedThe therapy must be working.

There are so many H&S Myths out there the HSE has its own web-page http://www.hse.gov.uk/myth/top10myths.htm and had to form a committe on the issue http://www.hse.gov.uk/contact/myth-busting.htm.
  • Coach H
    MattC59 wrote:

F*cking ridiculous !!!

Yes it is and its in the HSE top 10 of H&S Myths http://www.hse.gov.uk/myth/nov07.htm

You don't read the Daily Mail do you?
  • DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285
    As a construction type I do find the application of HS&E rules a little arbitrary at times.

I recently had to explain to a layman friend why it cost X (jaw dropping £££) to do Y (basic, 2 man job), the narrative went down the road of "can't manually lift more than 25kg, thus need plant (so +1 plant operative)" then you need a banksman (+1, cheap) and the agent/engineer (+1, expensive) needs to submit a lift plan in addition to the method statement (cut & paste forms will be rejected...) which he has to do as a matter of course; the work is also within 15ft of a statutory utility co.'s asset, so we need permissions (another afternoon for the agent, Stats are invariably staffed by "persons with agendas contrary to our own" i.e. we'd like them to do something, they'd rather not do anything) & the plant has to track on bog mats, which weight 200kg ea. so need a lift plan... You get the idea.

But the pet hate is organisations saying "H&S is our first priority," or moreover that it's is heresy to suggest that none of us would be there if it wasn't for the money - the potential cost of compensation makes it a massive commerical risk, ticking the HSE boxes serves to greatly mitigate this risk. If deaths on site resulted in nothing but 0.5m3 of free backfill material, we wouldn't think twice.
  • redjeepǃ
    redjeepǃ Posts: 531
    Coach H wrote:
    No genuine H&S issues here just petty officialdom by the uneducated and uninformed

Uneducated & uninformed ? You reckon ?

Funny thing was, these were all true and were at a huge, world famous and world class manufacturing company. You're probably using their products right now....

They also claim to have the best safety record in the world, so would probably reject your criticism for exactly the same reason. :D