stuck seatpost

Bible Basher Biker
Bible Basher Biker Posts: 811
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Any suggestions how to release it?
I haven't moved it for years. Alu frame & post so shouldn't have rusted.
I plan to live forever ... so far, so good

Comments

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    If you can twist it you are more than halfway there and the methods in the above link should help remove it.

Have used a hacksaw meself in the past it is not too bad providing you are not in a hurry. Be careful to leave enough material sticking out of the seat tube to get good purchase with the trusty molegrips. I didn't saw all the way through the seatpost wall I sawed a little at a time and eventually it was possible tear it out. If it's really stuck you may need to cut a number of slots.

Good luck
  • Oh dear, it's clearly a lot more drastic than I thought .... I didn't realise that alu could corrode onto alu ... not looking forward to this job!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It doesn't corrode onto as such, but as they oxidise the volume increases so any oxidation in the joint jams the post in place.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • calsh
    calsh Posts: 16
    have you tried lubricant? if it doesen't work, a little trinitrotoluene did the trick for me.
  • calsh wrote:
    trinitrotoluene

what's that?
  • Oh, ha ha. Got it now....!
  • calsh
    calsh Posts: 16
    Oh, ha ha. Got it now....!

i was waiting for someone to get that!
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    My local bike mechanic has used this to good effect.

Take saddle off and cut the top off the post, pour a can of coke in the post, insert a stopper - an old cork and hang upside down, repeat process 3 times leaving it for a day or two inbetween. Every day insert the seat post into a vice or something secure and jiggle it about. Basically the Coke eats up the corrosion and it should free it up. Let us all know how you get on.
  • could try drilling a hole through the seat post and inserting a bar to give you more leverage
    worst moment ever...
    buzzing down twisting single track then.... psssst BANG!!!