Worst baked beans ever

finchy
finchy Posts: 6,686
edited April 2012 in The bottom bracket
Just eaten half a tin of a well-known supermarket's own brand beans, and whoever came up with the idea of putting saccharin in baked beans should be put up against a wall and shot.

The worst thing is that I know the taste's just gonna linger on and on... :evil:

Comments

• CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    Stick with Heinz - or possibly Branston at a push.
  • finchy
    I have learnt from my mistake. The other tins are going on the compost heap. Poor worms.
  • CHRISNOIR
    I had a mate who used to add milk to his baked beans. He'd cook them by letting them boil furiously for about ten minutes.

We don't speak anymore.
  • finchy
    CHRISNOIR wrote:
    I had a mate who used to add milk to his baked beans. He'd cook them by letting them boil furiously for about ten minutes.

We don't speak anymore.

I didn't know you used to be friends with willhub.
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    If there was a thread similar to the over-rated record one but about most over-rated branded product instead I'd put Heinz baked beans right up there, really don't get the fuss over them. I buy Branston, before their emergence a few years ago it was Sainsburys regular own brand.
  • finchy
    If there was a thread similar to the over-rated record one but about most over-rated branded product instead I'd put Heinz baked beans right up there, really don't get the fuss over them. I buy Branston, before their emergence a few years ago it was Sainsburys regular own brand.

I'll just get your coat. :wink:
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    I agree Heinz beans are crap, too runny. Branston beans are the bomb.
  • finchy
    Rigga wrote:

You're just a bad cook. You've got to heat them gently in a covered pan. Then butter the toast generously and let the bean juice melt the butter in.
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    johnfinch wrote:
    Rigga wrote:

You're just a bad cook. You've got to heat them gently in a covered pan. Then butter the toast generously and let the bean juice melt the butter in.

Whenever i have to eat Heinz beans i have to thicken em up with brown sauce to make em bearable! Also when im eating beans at work i use a microwave, can't use pans.
  • finchy
    Rigga wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:
    Rigga wrote:

Whenever i have to eat Heinz beans i have to thicken em up with brown sauce to make em bearable! Also when im eating beans at work i use a microwave, can't use pans.

Microwaved baked beans? How frightfully ghastly.
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Baked beans are not baked but stewed,and they arent just beans,but haricot or navy beans.Never boil, just warm them through,gently in a pan,then discard.Used extensively on audaxes.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • +1 for brown sauce on beans, don't care what brand the beans are but the sauce has to be HP :)
  • Cool4catz
    Cool4catz Posts: 76
    Branstons are awesome, worst of all are Tesco Healthy beans - health beans? What's that about when you have a pie with them?
  • mustol
    mustol Posts: 134
    Not sure about the worst - I avoid any that claim to be low sugar/salt/fat (try eating some fruit and veg if you want to be healthy!?!) and don't get me started on Diet Coke! Branston are the best for me, I like the beans overcooked so the sauce gets nice and stodgy - yum!
    :P
  • wiffachip
    wiffachip Posts: 861
    not tried branston beans, but had a tin of their spaghetti bolagnaise at the weekend and it was revolting, had to hoy most of it away
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    What's all this about "cooking" baked beans? You can't cook them, it's already been done for you. Just zap the feckers and get them on a plate.

One of my faves is to cover the pile of hot beans with grated cheese and stick them under the grill until the cheese melts. yummy.

The older I get, the better I was.

• byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    Worst beans are the ones that have marg or butter added to them by the missus. Feck knows why she does it, it's vile!

Beanz meanz fartz
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    The worst baked bean ever is the one you've just put in your mouth.

The best the one you've just thrown away.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    how about human (boonens) beans

boonen+cannibal.jpg

You see what I did there. :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Certainly did.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    CHRISNOIR wrote:

We don't speak anymore.

I knew someone who used to spend about fifteen minutes boiling them to mush, "tasting" them all the time. He generally started off with decent ones, but they were awful by the time he'd done with them.

Can any former or current service people confirm that ration packs once contained a mega-cheap variety known as "glow beans" because of the venomous looking artificial colourant in them?
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Baked beans, Grated Cheese and Sweet Chilli Sauce nom nom :D
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    i like to boil my beans until they go uber stodgy an have to be scrapped out the bottom of the pan - my mrs just loves pans with beans welded to the bottom of em

also beans left at the side of a bbq so they pick up the smokeyness

ohhh mucho niceness
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • CHRISNOIR
    Giraffoto wrote:
    CHRISNOIR wrote:

We don't speak anymore.
    I knew someone who used to spend about fifteen minutes boiling them to mush, "tasting" them all the time. He generally started off with decent ones, but they were awful by the time he'd done with them.
    Madness, but at least he'd be checking them; the utter dunce I lived with would just wander off for a while. By the time 'Boiler-Bailey' had finished you'd need to take a blowtorch to the saucepan to get it clean.

Can anyone shed any light on the whole adding milk / butter / margarine thing? Why?
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Redhog14 wrote:
    Baked beans, Grated Cheese and Sweet Chilli Sauce nom nom :D

After a ride... :D
    Purveyor of "up" :)