2x10 - Which S

cframe
cframe Posts: 171
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
So I'm toying with the idea of upgrading my XTC 4 (3x9 mix of Deore, SLX and non-series parts) to a 2x10 setup.

Question is, which 2x10 - SRAM or Shimano?

I'm not looking to spend loads of cash - trying to stick around the Deore/x5/x7 bracket, I think.

Any suggestions recommendations?

Cheers,
c.
How's that for a slice of fried gold?

Comments

• Im running a 2x10 set up of sram x5 shifters and f/r mech and it runs pretty sweet to me. Ive got a FSA crankset at the minute which I will replace when it wears out, but no complaints, good swift and smooth changes.
    I find it much easier only having 2 front chainrings.
    My x5 shifters dont have windows to show which gear Im in, but soon got used to it.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Around 225 will get you full 2x10 SLX. Does that fit with your budget? If so, thats the way forward IMHO.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • fat_homer
    fat_homer Posts: 470
    benpinnick wrote:
    Around 225 will get you full 2x10 SLX. Does that fit with your budget? If so, thats the way forward IMHO.
    I'd agree with this, good value and SLX is very good kit.
  • cframe
    benpinnick wrote:

I didn't realise you could get SLX in a double, I could on;y really see 3x10 cranks in the new models…

From a brief look I had thought of maybe going the SRAM route

x5 cranks/bb - £95
    x7 shifters - £45
    x7 rear mech - £50
    x5 front mech - £30
    pg1030 cassette - £45

Total - £265

That's just from a quick look on CRC, could probably source bits cheaper from other stores.

Would the SLX group still be a better option?

Is there any possibility of doing an incremental upgrade or are 9sp and 10sp parts not interchangeable at all?

Cheers for the help so far everyone!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have got SRAM X5 shifters & X7 mech on my Reign X, don't like the shifters or mech. Mech is quite fragile compared to others I have had. Shifters just feel cheap & nasty.
    On my 456SS I have got full SLX which is much nicer, needs adjusting a little more often but the shifter is much better quality & the release works both ways. The rear mech seems to be indestructible. SLX looks & feels like much better quality.
  • cframe
    I have got SRAM X5 shifters & X7 mech on my Reign X, don't like the shifters or mech. Mech is quite fragile compared to others I have had. Shifters just feel cheap & nasty.
    On my 456SS I have got full SLX which is much nicer, needs adjusting a little more often but the shifter is much better quality & the release works both ways. The rear mech seems to be indestructible. SLX looks & feels like much better quality.

That's interesting about eh quality/durability side of things. I was having a wee play with some X7/X9 shiters at the bike show today and they felt that bit less 'burly' than the Deore's I'm used to. Not necessarily in a bad way but maybe a bit more fragile? Having the shifters matched up with a set of Avid brakes though using the matchmaker look so neat and tidy!

Have to agree with you about the SLX rear mech though, I've smacked mine about something fierce and it's taken it all in its stride!
  • WMB says you can run the new m785 xt 10spd double with a 9spd system. I'm about to upgrade my 9spd xt double n bash to the new 10spd dedicated double (on a side-note I'm trying to figure if the new m785 set is bashguard compatible...any1 know??)...I'd defo recommend the slx rear mech...mine is 3yrs old and has taken some serious abuse...indestructible!
    "KEEP 'ER LIT N FILL YER BOOTS!"
  • cframe
    WMB says you can run the new m785 xt 10spd double with a 9spd system. I'm about to upgrade my 9spd xt double n bash to the new 10spd dedicated double (on a side-note I'm trying to figure if the new m785 set is bashguard compatible...any1 know??)...I'd defo recommend the slx rear mech...mine is 3yrs old and has taken some serious abuse...indestructible!

Now that's interesting...

Is it relatively easy to run a double crank using triple shifters and mech or would I need to replace those with the crank?

Thanks again for all the help guys!
  • Worked a treat for me man (with all shimano parts anyway), the front mech works grand...use the limit screws to define movement and upgrade to a dedicated double when time is right...i.e. you get a bargain or you break it...as for the shifter, it will look after itself once the mech is limited. Down the line you may want to also upgrade to a medium cage rear mech (gets rid of excess chain & keeps it further away from impacts). Its better dippin your toes in before taking the plunge (unless we're talkin bout having to swim in cold water, in which case jump straight in!) as then if you don't like the change, you've not blown too much cash. Get it done man, triple rings are for road racing!!
    "KEEP 'ER LIT N FILL YER BOOTS!"
  • x9 10sp kit was crap..

Shimano for me.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I used to have 3x9. Swapped out the Deore crankset & front mech for the SLX dual/bash & SLX double specific mech (which I believe are both 9sp rated) so I'm now on 2x9 and about to hit the button on a 10sp XT rear mech & cassette

So will be 2x10 with 9sp kit on the front end (oh and a 10sp SLX front shifter) :?

Btw - gotta SRAM X7 shifter on the Session and the SLX shifter is in a different league (imho) Feels more solid, you can release with fore finger or thumb, looks better and just seems a better bit of kit overall.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8