Controltech Crossbow Carbon Bar-Stem. Any good?

tezboy1234
tezboy1234 Posts: 132
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hey All.... Is there anyone who knows anything about the Controltech Crossbow Carbon Bar-Stem? I'm going to be buying a Cube Acid 2012, but i'll only be keeping the frame and possibly the saddle. I'll be upgrading everything else (transmission, wheels etc) to Shimano XT, with the exeption of the rear derallieur, wich i'll be upgrading to a Shimano XTR Shadow Plus. This leaves me a bit stumped on the finishing kit. I was looking at the Easton EC90 bar and stem when i came across the controltech Crossbow Carbon. The bar and stem look like there a one piece design (don't know for sure though) and the stem has an intergrated holder for a bike computer. It came out in 2008 and retailed at 5-6 hundred pounds. I'ts now going for around 300 pounds. Is it heavy or light? Is it strong enough? Is it even a mountain bike product? If so, is it an XC bar or downhill? Any info from anyone on this product would be a big help! Thanks!!!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Is an XC product, is no lighter than a much cheaper combo of bar and stem (in fact, quite a bit heavier), lacks adjustability (cannot rotate bars, swap stems) and if it breaks have to replace the whole lot.

One of the worst MTB products I have ever seen.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    How much for a stem and bars? For that I'd want solid gold. No wonder they didn't sell at £500+
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    I think if you're buying a new bar and stem then theres only really two options - The controltech, or this Dirty Dog skull stem. Nothing else comes close.

Skull%20Medium%202-700x650.jpg
  • parryman
    parryman Posts: 155
    Doesn't that weigh more than the moon?
    ¸.•´¸.•*´¨)
    .•´,•*´¨)¸.•*¨)
    ¸.•´¸.•*´¨).•*´¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•` * ¸.•´¸.•*´¨The Amazing Parryman
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    One of the worst MTB products I have ever seen.

Generally one of the worst products, one piece bar/stems are no more sensible on the road!

370g is incredibly heavy. A really nice light alu stem and carbon bars (I use New Ultimate and Mt Zoom risers respectively) are 250g and £120 all in.