Speed hump\Sleeping Policeman

Eskimo427
Eskimo427 Posts: 288
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
This may sound like a silly question, but what do most of you roadies do when you come across a speed hump travelling at speed? As a mountain biker I would usually speed up and use it as an excuse to get some air. Some how I don't think that would be a good thing to do on my new road bike.

I'd like to know if most people would just try and slow down and hope for the best or if there's a technique to them?

Thanks

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Most just lift their arse off the saddle and bend their knees slightly.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Jump it!

or if not, same as a big rock/branch etc, go loose/unweight and let the bike move up and down underneath you...

Don't do what i did yesterday and accidently tw@t the back wheel into a kerb as you ll get seriously bitten!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    What Rick said. Going slightly off piste, I have the same quandary about cattle grids which I blinking hate. Using the same technique works well (albeit with the added caveat of approaching as perpendicular as possible, freewheeling) but it is hard to know in advance when a grid is rideable...and some are and some aren't. The ones to look out for are on an incline, have round bars rather than flat, gaps are big and conditions are damp. These factors all combined last year when I was doing a climb in rural Wales and I ended up stationary, spinning like a little hamster until I fell over sideways. Luckily, I didn't stick an arm through the gaps or I could have come off quite badly. I have bunny hopped grids at speed before but now figure that was probably fool's bravado and I walk if worried too much, but that just feels wrong.
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    Bunny hop the entire thing. Well euro. For extra hard man points spit in mid air
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    There's usually a way round them.....they rarely stretch across the whole street curb-to-curb, so what I usually do is avoid them or at least go over them where they're thinnest.

Worst comes to the worst, stand up and use your knees to avoid the worst of the impact. Unweight a little as you hit - a sort of half-hearted bunny-hop.
  • kim10
    kim10 Posts: 186
    Zoomer37 wrote:
    Bunny hop the entire thing. Well euro. For extra hard man points spit in mid air

And wave mid air with both hands to anybody looking and you!! 8)
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,159
    i do some on highgate west hill at 50+ km/hr, weight off seat, legs in shock absorber mode

need to watch where you 'enter' the bump though, some parts are steeper than others, and some have potholes/crap surface on/after the bump
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,920
    Jump it and then do a 720 double tail whip.

Well that's what I do anyway ;)
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • Frank pole
    Frank pole Posts: 112
    Do a bunny hop then while in the air text the missis to see what's for dinner!
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    Weight off the saddle or bunny hop onto the middle of it if it's one of the broad ones.

I'll get practicing the more hardcore hop and spit method :lol: .
  • Eskimo427
    Eskimo427 Posts: 288
    Thanks very much for the replies guys. Some very creative techniques mentioned - not sure if my skill set allows much more than the bending of the knees.
  • klep
    klep Posts: 158
    Kim10 wrote:
    Zoomer37 wrote:

And wave mid air with both hands to anybody looking and you!! 8)
    I usually combine it with a Superman-pose instead of waving...