Recommend me a good company for Bike insurance

billysewartcrf
billysewartcrf Posts: 196
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Hi chaps can someone recommend me a good insurance company for my bikes? Our house insurance will only cover bikes worth £1000 or less.
I've looked in the Internet but there seems to be loads can anyone recommend someone good??
Thanks
Specialized Tarmac - Team bike
Kinesis Grand Fondo Ti - Year round training bike
Kinesis Pro 6 - CX bike
Orbea Alma 29er - MTB

Trek madone 5.2- Sold
Ragley Marley Mtb- Sold

http://www.team-chronomaster.com
http://www.leisurelakesbikes.co.uk

Comments

• nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    I am going with MoreThan for Buildings/Contents/Bikes
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,159
    m&s
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Kingy911
    Kingy911 Posts: 134
    I got this that came through with my cycle to work voucher, instant quote, all you have to do is input value of bike and post code, easy

www.cycleguard.co.uk/cs
  • Liverpool & Victoria do good add on bike insurance. Be careful with the previous excellent M&S, the £4000 per unnamed bike is no more for new policies now AXA have taken over running the show.
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    I need this soon too. Does anyone know any policies that will cover a bike kept outdoors (in a back garden) but secured to a ground anchor?

I do have a shed, but it's full of stuff and I'd rather not have to haul my commuting bike out of there every morning... and bikes aren't allowed to live in the house apparently.
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    sungod wrote:
    m&s

Hmmm, I am doinfg some reseach on this and I can' find any cyce insurance from M&S. Do perchance have a link? Ta.

So far I'm getting quotes in the region of £310.00 for two bikes with a total value of £3500.00. What the fippity blumen blasty 'eck is going on? It don't cost that to insure my car fully comp!
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • sungod
    m&s is *contents* insurance, not bike insurance

choose the away from home option, and it covers bikes, laptops etc. away from home

you'll need to declare the bike

read the policy first to be sure it's right for you
  • p9uma
    sungod wrote:
    m&s is *contents* insurance, not bike insurance

choose the away from home option, and it covers bikes, laptops etc. away from home

you'll need to declare the bike

read the policy first to be sure it's right for you

Ahh right. Many thanks.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • met
    met Posts: 24
    we claimed with more than for our bikes a couple of years ago. they were excellent, paid out very quickly, no hassle.
    2 bikes @ £1500 through the house insurance. we were suprised as we hadnt listed them seperately - ususally you have to list items of large value seperately.....

I've heard M&S is good too...
  • p9uma
    Met wrote:
    we claimed with more than for our bikes a couple of years ago. they were excellent, paid out very quickly, no hassle.
    2 bikes @ £1500 through the house insurance. we were suprised as we hadnt listed them seperately - ususally you have to list items of large value seperately.....

I've heard M&S is good too...

Who was your insurance company?
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • p9uma
    I got this from the M&S quote;

• Pedal Cycles
    Loss or damage
    a) to any pedal cycle worth over £1,000 unless it has been specified in your Policy Schedule and you have chosen to cover it away from home
    b) to tyres and accessories unless the pedal cycle is lost or damaged at the same time.
    c) by theft of any unattended pedal cycle, unless in a locked building or secured by a suitable locking device to a permanent structure or a motor vehicle.
    d) while being used for racing, pace making or trials.
    e) to pedal cycles used for business purposes.

Not a lot of use if you do a sportive then.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • sungod
    ah, i heard they changed the terms for new policies, didn't know they were so specific now

i'm lucky to be on the original terms, it has no restrictions at all, just declare value and that's it

but those exclusions don't exclude sportives, sportives aren't races - that'd be illegal on public roads, sportives are just rides
  • p9uma
    sungod wrote:
    ah, i heard they changed the terms for new policies, didn't know they were so specific now

i'm lucky to be on the original terms, it has no restrictions at all, just declare value and that's it

but those exclusions don't exclude sportives, sportives aren't races - that'd be illegal on public roads, sportives are just rides

Are Sportives pace making?
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • sungod
    pace making is when you ride ahead of someone who is trying to race, tt, etc., definitely not a sportive
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    I've got mine done with Barclays along with my buildings and contents, if your a Barclays customer they're doing half price contents for a year.

I got mine along with both my bikes for just under £18 a month :D
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • p9uma
    sungod wrote:
    pace making is when you ride ahead of someone who is trying to race, tt, etc., definitely not a sportive

Thanks for the explanation .
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • warrerj
    warrerj Posts: 665
    +1 for M&S

cover bikes over £1k as long as they are listed on the policy. Cover away from home is good too. More details here (see page 5 & 10) :
    http://money.marksandspencer.com/pdf/HIPremierPolicy.pdf