Servicing Suntour x100 forks

bobingtonsmyth
bobingtonsmyth Posts: 41
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Due to being poor I'm currently having to make do with an old pair of Suntour x100 forks until I can afford to upgrade to something better later in the year.

Want to give them a good service to in order to have them operate to the best of their abilities but from looking at the Suntour website I can find no record of their existence... am guessing they are an OE fork...

Anyone serviced these? If so can you tell me what to look for, what they need doing to them? Are they oil bath type forks?

Any help appreciated, I miss my old Dukes, they were a doddle to service and at least info about them is easy to get on this here interweb...

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yep, an OE fork. Similar to the Raidon or Epicon from the same year, may be able to get tech manuals still from SR.
  • calsh
    calsh Posts: 16
    you shouldnt really take the forks apart if you dont know what you're doing, take it to a bike shop for a servicing ideally. but there are generally screws on the top and bottom on the forks.on the bottom, left, is usually the pressure. undo that a few turns. and the other two, right hand side, should be taken out. with a little wiggling the bottom should slide off of the rest of the fork. Kind of hard to explain across the internet. but it might give you an idea.

On the suntour raidon owners manual this is what the full services do: SERVICE 1: Checking fork‘s functions / cleaning and greasing bushings / lubricate remote lock
    cable and housing / checking torque values / checking air pressure / checking fork for
    any scratches, dents, cracks, bent or tarnished parts and stress marks.
    SERVICE 2: Service 1 + disassembling / cleaning whole fork / lubricating dust seals and oil wipers /
    greasing remote lock and travel adjust top caps / sealing air valve top caps by greasing
    it / checking for any air leakings / checking torque values / tuning according to rider‘s
    personal preferences.

but it also says to take it to a shop.

you could also just try some of this if you want little hassle;
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=80655

hope this helped a bit.