reccomend me some shoes?

richmcf
richmcf Posts: 55
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Hi!

Can someone reccomend me some budget trainers that will work with these pedals? up until 2 weeks ago i didnt even know 'cycling shoes' exsisted! :lol:

10908.jpg

Comments

• Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    Those look like road-specific pedals, so you'll likely need road-specific cycling shoes for them. I have some old 'mountain bike' cycling shoes that look like (supermarket) trainers and the bit that clips into the pedal is recessed into the tread of the shoe - road shoes don't have (much) tread, they're just there to keep your foot in.
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    No, they are SPD pedals.. not specifically 'road' which are spd-sl when we are talking Shimano.
    Go trawl Wiggle for MTB shoes that come in your price bracket.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Err, sorry but I also disagree with the post by Gizmo. Those are Shimano A520s and use an MTB (or SPD) cleat as opposed to road shoes which normally use SPD-SL. As such, the shoes that work with them are usually noted as "MTB" but can be used to great effect on road bikes...and you get to walk like a human being at cafes too. I would recommend the Spesh BG range (great stiff soles and all round performance) but my wife has the Tahoe which work OK too (but the soles are not that stiff so they are more of a touring shoe).
  • richmcf
    Thanks for the Info Guys!
  • Gizmo_
    I stand corrected :lol: Just looked like my MTB shoes wouldn't fit into them...
  • richmcf
    what shoes do you have gizmo?
  • Gizmo_
    Shimano MT31. If you find a photo of the bottom of the shoe, the cleat is more or less level with the chunky tread on the bottom which makes them quite tricky to engage (or maybe it's just me).
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,161
    If you are on a strict budget, Lidl or Aldi will do SPD fit shoes at some stage in the spring, lots of members here think they are ok (for the money).

Not sure if you already have the pedals or are planning on buying, but note that the pedals (not the shoes) are supplied with the cleats to fit onto your shoes. Buying the cleats alone is almost as much as pedals plus cleats.

I'm pretty sure Gizmo's MT31's will fit - my MT41's do. Anyone tried Shimano RT32 or 82's ? RT=Road touring, a bit less chunky and a lot lighter than the MT range. I think these have replaced RT31 and RT81.
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    If your lucky enough like me to fit a size 41 shoe, chain reaction are selling the last of the Northwave Vertigo Pros for £45.00 instead of £90.00. I got a pair of these and they are great.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=2469&ModelID=46674
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Absolute Cycles on eBay usually have some really good deals on shoes. Depends a lot on your size just how much of a bargain you get (and of course it's only a bargain if the shoes actually fit YOUR feet well).
    More problems but still living....