Jersey Sizes...

richmcf
richmcf Posts: 55
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Hello!

New to cycling... Just bought my first proper 'Cycling Jersey' im a medium in everything so obviously i went for a mediaum, i tried it on last night and its far to tight!! especially on the midriff area!

Anyone else have this problem? should i generally go for large's due to the nature of cycling tops? or was this a one off?

Cheers!

Rich

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Depends on the brand. Italian brands tend to be on the smaller size. UK brands tend to be on the bigger size.

How tight is too tight though?
  • Duffer65
    Duffer65 Posts: 341
    I'm afraid road cycling clothing is meant to be close fitting, which for those of us who have a bit of a belly (and I'm not suggesting you have) feels a bit revealing at first. A Jersey should be close fitting and not baggy but not restrictively tight either unless you're wearing an aero skinsuit that is. If it feels uncomfortable go up a size in that brand.
    Where would you be if you fell down a hole?.. Stuck down a hole... in the fog... Stuck down a hole, in the fog, at night... WITH AN OWL!
  • richmcf
    richmcf Posts: 55
    Thanks Guys!

Im not in bad shape its fine on the arms/chest ect but its a bit tight on what belly i do have haha! I think im going to keep it as a way to measure what cycling to work every day does for my fitness.... this time in a month it might fit me just right! fingers crossed!
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    richmcf wrote:
    Thanks Guys!

Im not in bad shape its fine on the arms/chest ect but its a bit tight on what belly i do have haha! I think im going to keep it as a way to measure what cycling to work every day does for my fitness.... this time in a month it might fit me just right! fingers crossed!

Good decision. In a few months you'll be selling it on Ebay and buying a smaller size.
  • I'm a medium to small in most t-shirts, tops etcs. Jerseys is a different matter. I tend to avoid Castelli - medium was like a second skin and large not much better... I just couldn't face going to an XL. Suspect other brands could be the same. So far I've found Mavic to be good, they do a relax jersey which is a great fit on a medium. Fitted but quite forgiving. Also Morvello sizes are quite good although I tend to be an L in the range.