Chain Jumping to different gear!

jimmy23cricket
jimmy23cricket Posts: 59
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All,

How do you stop this happening? I have tried running 9 speed and am currently running 2X9 and it seems worse. It seems to happen consistently on chattery sections when putting power down and it slips down or up a gear on the cassette.

I've had it to a mechaninc and its still happens. Does the chain need shortening or is it just bad suspension design?

Any advice would be welcome as its very annoying and unnerving having that loose "kick" on technical bits when trying not to fall off.

Thanks

Comments

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Is it fine when riding under normal load? or does it skip etc when your going up hill?
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • It's fine under normal load, uphill or downhill as long as you are peddaling. Where it happens is when there are multiple and rapid suspension hits (like roots), or when the suspension has taken a big hit like after a jump. When you go to put the power on or after these type of situations, the chain jumps back to the gear you had selected. So whats happening is that its jumping off the selected gear whilst no power is down and then jumps back after you put the power on (hope that makes sense!?)
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I wouldn't shorten the chain unless you are certain you're not going to end up with it too short.

Best thing would be one of the new clutched rear mechs.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    I wouldn't shorten the chain unless you are certain you're not going to end up with it too short.

Best thing would be one of the new clutched rear mechs.

It does sound like a chain tension issue, have you considered a chain device?
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Yep. I ran a chain device with the 9 speed, it still happened.

I think ride_whenever might be on to something re the clutched mech. It makes sense that its when the rear mech jumps back and forth on hits causing the chain to jump with it. Pitty you can't pick up one at the moment without upgrading to 10 speed XTR! Have to wait until SLX version or X9 is released I guess.....but will still have to move to 10 speed.
  • BigStu2
    BigStu2 Posts: 794
    Check if the deraileur mounting bolt/ hanger is loose or if you running an XT shadow RD and has it got a few miles under its belt it will hop, mine hopped around like mad as the linkages do get quite loose, compare your RD to a mates to see how worn it is or tension the cable, it will only hop to a lower gear if the tension is off....and make sure the upper jockey wheel is adjusted up to the correct height under the cassette...
    .........all
    ...at........work
    fun..................&
    ..no.............no
    .....is......play