Back on the bike

Ashley_1988
Ashley_1988 Posts: 8
edited April 2012 in MTB beginners
Hello all,

After a few years of non riding I have decided to get back on my bike. At the moment I am riding a Carrera Kraken (2006 maybe, grey and black frame) Due to it just being in the shed for three years and not being taken out it is not in the best of shape as you can guess, although it will do just whilst I get back into it, building my fitness back up.

Anyway, to my point. I am going to be purchasing a new bike towards the back end of the summer once I have funds. I will be using the bike for my commute to Uni and back via train and also over Cannock Chase on weekends as its on the other halves doorstep. I have read a lot of reviews on a lot of bikes and I did have my heart set on the Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 2012, although the reviews with regards to the forks are not impressive. The frame however has been said to be a good frame? If I were to purchase one, what else apart from the forks is this bike lacking? Would it be at an extortionate cost to upgrade the parts lacking at a later date?

My preferred budget would be £500 with room for manouvre and although I have saw many recommendations for the Rockrider 8.1 the looks just don't do it for me. And one last thing, how are the Specialized Rockhoppers nowadays? Would it be worth spending that little bit extra? (If you haven't noticed, i'd really prefer a Specialized! :))

Many thanx,
Ashley

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The Rockhopper Comp at £800 has worse spec than the Rockrider at £500. Do you want to ride it or look at it?
    TBH I would rather have a Spesh than a Rockrider, but at the budget, I would get the Rockrider.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    But if you can stretch to £600 and it fits - excellent deal, spec kills the Speshes.
    http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... _Bike_2011
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The GT is a really nice bike, both spec and looks wise but i'm just wondering whether it will still be available at that price by the time I purchase mine. I have also saw another GT which has taken my liking, are the forks on this any good?

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gt/avalanche-2-2012-mountain-bike-ec030572
  • cooldad
    I posted to a Giant, but in answer to your question, not in the same league.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • My bad :oops: And thank you for your reply and honest opinion. The rockrider is growing on me, i'm going to pop into Decathlon today to see what its like in person. I do have a few more questions though. What is the build quality of the bikes from Decathlon like? Are they put together to a high standard? Are the frames any good?

And one last thing, what are your opinions on the Voodoo brand which Halfords are selling. The Voodoo Hoodoo http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_786847_langId_-1_categoryId_165499#tab1 and Voodoo Bokor http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_786827_langId_-1_categoryId_165499 both seem to have good specs and also air forks as opposed to hydraulic. What is the main difference between air and hydraulic forks and which are better?

Thanks again :)
  • Fatamorgana
    Fatamorgana Posts: 257
    I bought a 2nd hand Avalanche and it's an absolute bone-shaker, and whilst I can't really recall, and no longer own it, the Avalanche is more so than my old Pace RC301 with the square shaped Ali tubing that dentists advocated for working out loose teeth.
  • cooldad
    Hydraulic refers to the damping. You get three types of spring in forks - elastomer (rubber bands basically - cheap and pretty useless) steel coil (heavier than air but plush, not easily adjustable without replacing springs) and air (lightest and most easily adjustable, not always the plushest).
    Hydraulic would refer to the damping - how the compression and rebound are damped to stop the fork acting like a pogo stick.
    Really cheap forks have no damping. Decent forks force oil though restrictions or valves to slow down the movement - this is normally adjustable.
    Air forks are easiest to set up, so what you probably want ideally are air forks with hydraulic damping.
    Coils can be a bit cheaper, and are a decent option, as long as have damping.
    Both of those you linked to have air forks, with damping and are decent bikes.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • I went to both Decathlon and Halfords yesterday to have a look around and look at what they had to offer. I really liked the look of both Voodoo's in Halfords and also the Carrera Fury and they all have minimum 120mm of travel with air forks which is seeming even more appealing after I have now read cooldad's post.

In Decathlon even though the Rockrider is a really great spec'd bike I just really, really do not like the look of it, with it looking even worse in person than on the pictures. I did fall in love with the Rockrider 9.1 though, its a lovely looking bike and the reviews for it are all great. I'm just now trying to think whether I can justify spending £800 on my first 'proper' bike.

I also have more questions, there is a Leisure Lakes near me in Wolverhampton and they stock Cube bikes. Are their any Cube bikes which come close to any of these? I know they will come at an increased price, i'd just like to know what is open to me.

Thanx again :)
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    If you are looking at an Avalanche there's a second hand one on here at £380... it's a 2011 1.0 with Deore and XT kit, and it has a Tora fork, which is decent, well damped unit, and as I've just found, easy to service yourself.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I'm a Rockhopper fan too and I'd be looking at 2nd hand (something like this; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Specialized-Rockhopper-Comp-19-frame-2006-immaculate-/270952157274?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item3f1601d05a#ht_624wt_1185 )

Then you can upgrade fork as/when/if you needed to.

My 2006 'hopper is still going strong and each upgrade turns it into a new and individual bike
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • cooldad
    Second hand is always a good option - if you are confident - farked forks can cost a lot to repair/replace. The Fury is an excellent option as well. BR review:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... y-12-45764
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • I don't think I would take the plunge and buy second hand with the amount of knowledge I currently have, so it looks that I will be buying new. I have been ploughing through websites, reading reviews, watching videos, looking at opinions and I have however decided to steer clear of 'big' brand names as your paying for the name and not the spec.

I am still no closer to choosing a bike although I have narrowed it down too three which are the Rockrider 8.1, Voodoo Bokor and the Boardman Comp as I have saw all three in person and would happily choose either of the three. Which for the money offers the best spec and upgrade potential should I choose to in the future. And is there still issues with the Voodoo's with paintwork chipping easily?