Another saddles 'n shorts thread

roypsb
roypsb Posts: 309
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Okay, so picked up my new bike yesterday - a gorgeous Wilier Izoard XP (black and fluorescent Petacchi decals). Put on my pedals, set it up and off I go for quick 15 mile spin before the rain comes down. Literally within 2 miles my thoughts were that the saddle is very uncomfortable/painful on the sit bones. It's a Selle Italia Nekkar, looks good on the bike but is significantly less padded than the Specialized BG that I'm used to.

I changed the saddles over so the Specialized is now on my Wilier and it is indeed far more comfortable (& certainly heavier), but does not look so good. Not a problem I guess, as comfort is everything - but it does somewhat spoil the look of the bike.

So I have a couple of questions...

Have I just been spoiled with the Spesh saddle and not really been toughening up my sit bones?
Are the Tenn Outdoors padded bibs I've been wearing (£23) not as good as I thought - just masked by the padded saddle?
Would a more expensive set of padded bibs (Wiggle DHB?) provide a better level of comfort on a less padded (lighter)saddle?

I apprecaite that all backsides are different and there's no magic formula. Just very grateful for your thoughts and opinions.

Thanks,
Roy.

Comments

• nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Saddle width and shape are more important than the amount of padding, could just be the new saddle is the wrong size/shape for you. What model Spesh saddle do you have and what width is it? The Romin and Toupe can be very comfy if you get the right width and look good on the bike IMO. that said they're not for everyone, I know a couple of people that hate the Romin whereas I swear by it.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    I don't know about spoiling the look of the bike but I saw a chap the other day, all padded up, a good 95 kilos minimum, what chance of even seeing the saddle :shock:

It takes time, your ar5e would get used to almost anything, you could just keep at it, or to avoid this 'pain' throw as much money as you can afford at the 'problem' and feel better on so many levels.

Spend...you know you want to :D

(Nice bike!)
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • roypsb
    nferrar wrote:
    Saddle width and shape are more important than the amount of padding, could just be the new saddle is the wrong size/shape for you. What model Spesh saddle do you have and what width is it? The Romin and Toupe can be very comfy if you get the right width and look good on the bike IMO. that said they're not for everyone, I know a couple of people that hate the Romin whereas I swear by it.

Okay, this is where it gets a bit embarrassing :oops:

The saddle came with the Secteur bike when I bought it 2nd hand last year. I kept it on as it was comfortable. However, I did a search on it yesterday to see if it was still available or had been updated and to my astonishment I found that it's a woman's saddle! A BG Aeriel 130. I had absolutely no idea - the previous owner was a male.

Perhaps I've got a feminine derriere!

I see that the Romin gets excellent reviews but perhaps I'm just not long enough in the saddle for one yet. I've been road cycling for a little over a year. Clocked up 1500-2000 miles in that time and thus far my furtherst is about 30 miles (looking to increase gradually).
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    Under what circumstances did you get the BG saddle; were you measured or anything?. I've been using fizik's for years but recently experimented with a Romin BG after trying the Specialized sit test in one of their stores. They aren't 100% accurate but will get you close with regards to your sit bones. I used the Romin for a few weeks but went back to Fizik Aliante Gamma in the end. Just felt more comfy on the longer rides and now have the same saddle on both bikes.
  • roypsb
    sampras38 wrote:
    Under what circumstances did you get the BG saddle; were you measured or anything?. I've been using fizik's for years but recently experimented with a Romin BG after trying the Specialized sit test in one of their stores. They aren't 100% accurate but will get you close with regards to your sit bones. I used the Romin for a few weeks but went back to Fizik Aliante Gamma in the end. Just felt more comfy on the longer rides and now have the same saddle on both bikes.

Not measured, just came with the bike. Might try that sit test in a Spesh store as don't want to thorw money away - I haven't got any left now!
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    RoyPSB wrote:
    Are the Tenn Outdoors padded bibs I've been wearing (£23) not as good as I thought - just masked by the padded saddle?
    Would a more expensive set of padded bibs (Wiggle DHB?) provide a better level of comfort on a less padded (lighter)saddle?

I use £23 Tenn shorts and £150 Assos shorts.

The Tenn shorts have a surprisingly good pad considering their price and the difference between the two (assuming your saddle fits you) is not as big as the price difference might suggest. Tenn stuff is amazing value for money.