Sitting down on inclines?

2»

Comments

• t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    I heard this a while back on a road cycling website and it was supposedly recommended by Lance Armstrong.

I'd take anything recommended by Lance with a pinch of salt (or anything else to hand)

His recommendations on how to avoid a positive dope test would be interesting - allegedy.

Sorry couldn't resist :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • SR7492
    SR7492 Posts: 190
    When I was on my MTB, I pretty much used to out of the saddle on the hills and kind of got a liking to it.

However, since I've had my roadie, it's very rare for me to be out of the saddle. 2 conclusions: 1)the roadie is obviously better and efficient on the hills and 2) I've improved my biking/cadence that I don't need to come out of the saddle.

Just my 2 pence worth :)
  • Muffintop
    Muffintop Posts: 296
    Rolf F wrote:
    Muffintop wrote:
    It is faster to climb out of the saddle but it wipes me out for the rest of the hill......

Have you actually timed it? I have - in my case, climbing out of the saddle certainly feels faster but definitely isn't faster! One reason it feels faster is that as soon as I stand up, I need to drop down a gear which implies an increase in speed; but in this case it just reflects a lower cadence when I'm stood up. There isn't a lot in it overall though but I'm probably more tired at the top if I have been standing.

I maybe doing it all wrong though :lol:

I find I cover more ground initially but then loose that ground because I have to sit down and go slow. I tend not to change gear though as nine times out of ten I'm already in the granny gear and my cadence is usually higher.

Mx
    FCN: Brompton: 12, Tourer: 7, Racer: 4

http://www.60milestonod.blogspot.com
  • Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    On the harder hills i ride the steepest part is always near the top. Usually I just spin up them but since picking up my new bike (which seems much easier on the hills) I have been getting out of the saddle on the steeper bits and staying there untill I have reached the top. Then I collapse back into the saddle :roll:

Seems to work ok for me.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid