will it fit presta to sharader

sigorman85
sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
edited May 2012 in MTB general
my bike came with presta valve innertubes fitted but i want to fit sharader tubes will i have to drill the hole bigger in the rims for it to fit? my wheels are Custom DT Swiss 445D, disc, double wall, pin joint, eyelets, 24mm, 28/32h if this helps
When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2

Comments

• omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    DT Swiss rims are very narrow in the middle , if you drill them out you will weaken them. Even though the manufactures tell you not to drill out its a chance you take if you are riding anything more than xc
  • mintedox
    mintedox Posts: 273
    I reckon all you need is a new pump
    Papa? Nicole
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Is there a small plastic collar round the valve hole, if so does it 'ping out' if so you can fit Schrader valves (or possibly even sharader), otherwise as hinted at, I wouldn't risk breaking a narrow rim for the sake of downgrading the valves, just get proper ones.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • sigorman85 wrote:
    my bike came with presta valve innertubes fitted but i want to fit sharader tubes will i have to drill the hole bigger in the rims for it to fit? my wheels are Custom DT Swiss 445D, disc, double wall, pin joint, eyelets, 24mm, 28/32h if this helps

Why?
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    You can buy a presta to schreader convertor for about 50p....
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    benpinnick wrote:
    You can buy a presta to schreader convertor for about 50p....

Most pumps have a reversible rubber gromet for use with either Presta or Schrader :wink:
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    I've not actually owned a bike pump in the last decade that didn't automatically just work on both presta and Schraeder :?
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Why would you want to change from presta to schrader in the first place?...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I've not actually owned a bike pump in the last decade that didn't automatically just work on both presta and Schraeder :?

Hmm, after thinking about this, I realise I've only actually owned two pumps in the last decade, so this isn't as impressive as it initially seemed in my head :lol:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599

Hmm, after thinking about this, I realise I've only actually owned two pumps in the last decade, so this isn't as impressive as it initially seemed in my head :lol:
    That sounds like your obvious.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • sigorman85
    90 percent of pumps are sharada and the tubes are cheaper i no its cheap! but the other day i wanted to get a 5 pack of tubes dont ask me why they dont do a 4 or a 6 but they do them for 15 quid and it 7 quid for a single tube in halfods and local bike shop plus if ya want some call tacky valve caps there isnt much choice for presta
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

• Presta valves suck....!!! I hate the damn things.
    My last bike came with them installed. The rims had a small plastic insert that just pulled out allowing me to fit proper inner tubes.
    2011 Whyte 905
    1990s Orange Clockwork
  • YeehaaMcgee
    sigorman85 wrote:
    90 percent of pumps are sharada
    I assure you, they are not.
    sigorman85 wrote:
    and the tubes are cheaper i no its cheap! but the other day i wanted to get a 5 pack of tubes dont ask me why they dont do a 4 or a 6 but they do them for 15 quid and it 7 quid for a single tube in halfods and local bike shop plus if ya want some call tacky valve caps there isnt much choice for presta
    Oh, I see. Well that explains it.
  • sniper68
    sigorman85 wrote:
    90 percent of pumps are sharada
    No they're dual,have been for years as previously stated,you just have to unscrew the cap and turn the valve around :wink:
    I get 3 presta tubes for a fiver locally 8)
  • sigorman85
    well aint you a lucky boy lol .......100 percent if you typed the word pump in to ebay the first pump will be for sharader.....any way so its not the best idea to drill my rims an extra 2 mm for the sharader valves to fit?

• sniper68
    sigorman85 wrote:
    well aint you a lucky boy lol .......100 percent if you typed the word pump in to ebay the first pump will be for sharader..
    Fail!
    Just typed in Bike pump on ebay and the first 6 are dual :lol:
  • sigorman85
    ok then

• YeehaaMcgee
    edited April 2012
    I'm pretty sure there won't be any sharader pumps on ebay.
    In fact, I've just checked, and there's only one dumbass selling "Sharada" inner tubes for a kid's bike.

Of course, I could take it as a typo, but, much like on this very page of this very forum, it's been spelt "Schraeder" elsewhere on the same ####### page.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Is there a small plastic collar round the valve hole, if so does it 'ping out' if so you can fit Schraeder valves . . .

Where can I get one of these small plastic collars? I have Schraeder valves on my bike and I'd love to get presta tubes (so I don't have to keep flipping the connector on my pump - lazy $0d) but the holes in the wheel are too big
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • YeehaaMcgee
    "o"! Fixed!
  • sniper68
    Giraffoto wrote:

Where can I get one of these small plastic collars? I have Schraeder valves on my bike and I'd love to get presta tubes (so I don't have to keep flipping the connector on my pump - lazy $0d) but the holes in the wheel are too big
    Can't find any instock in the UK but a few in the States.
    These two UK shops stock them in allu.
    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/wheels-manuf ... prod16975/
    http://www.justridingalong.com/wheels-m ... ption.html
    I'd try my LBS.
  • ilovedirt
    If the reason is purely financial, Chain reaction do packs of ten airwaves tubes in eithe Schrader or Presta for £25 here. Cheap as chips.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • sigorman85
    na itsjust easy and simple with a sharader valve

• snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    I've heard you need a degree to use a presta?!

I personally wouldn't drill my rims, besides presta valves look nicer...

:wink: :arrow:
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It's a bloody schrader valve. Schrader.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • tenfoot
    tenfoot Posts: 226
    :lol:

That's right. And the other type is a Peresta.
  • ilovedirt
    tenfoot wrote:
    :lol:

That's right. And the other type is a Perester.
    fixed
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • flester
    flester Posts: 464
    Is there a small plastic collar round the valve hole, if so does it 'ping out' if so you can fit Schrader valves (or possibly even sharader), otherwise as hinted at, I wouldn't risk breaking a narrow rim for the sake of downgrading the valves, just get proper ones.

This plastic collar you mention, where can I get them? My rims are drilled for Schrader, but Presta tubes are easier to get in 700C size (though 700c schrader is becoming common on tourers and hybrids now).

'I do not believe in the three-speed gear at all', the sergeant was saying. 'It is a newfangled instrument, it crucificies the legs, the half of the accidents are due to it.' (From 'The Third Policeman')
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    I would say that actually most tubes are presta. The Schraders are probably only cheap because no one buys them :lol: . If you go into a decent bike shop, the vast majority of bikes come with presta rims and tubes. The vast majority of decent aftermarket wheels also come in presta only.All the pumps I have are dual.
    I like the screw ring around the valve too, as it means that you can use a push on pump as well as a screw one. If you try and use a push on pump with Schrader valve, the valve just pushes into the rim.

Anyway, if you really really want Schrader rims/tubes, I hear Trax bikes come with them