Crank Refurb

DCR00
DCR00 Posts: 2,160
edited April 2012 in MTB general
Evening all

Did a search for this, but nowt came back

Anyone had their cranks refurbed a la getting your alloys refurbed ?

My cranks have rub marks and ideally id like to get them refurbed back to what they looked like originally

Failing that maybe a black powder coat - anyone done this ?

Cheers

DCR

Comments

• YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    They're meant to be covered in mud and scratches anyway.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Alloy wheels are powdercoated, cranks aren't, you could just get them polished back to bare silver alloy, then the rub marks wouldn't show, or try not looking at them whilst you're riding... ;-)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • xmadxmoex
    xmadxmoex Posts: 135
    I'd imagine that anyone who can do alloys would be able to do your cranks.. could always go for somthing a bit different color wise that way too :)
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    It is possible to powder cranks depending on type, ones which are crank arm attached to the axle can be done but they have a small rubber seal were the crank arm meets the axle, this is ok 99% of the time but on the odd occasion it will mis-shape due to the heat.

Personally I would leave them as any paint you put on won't last long as its in constant contact with your foot, saying that you can helitape them after to keep them looking like new.

Hard annodizing would give the longest lasting finish or just polish them up.

If you want to polish them, oven pride should strip the anno off, just be careful as it stings quite a bit.....
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • mattbarnes
    mattbarnes Posts: 295
    p4pb3386258.jpg

or

p4pb1166185.jpg

This involves polishing mops, various grades of polishing compounds, metal polishing paste and hours of work! I should know, I did both of these sets of cranks.

Go for it, its worth it. :wink:
    Society is like a stew. You have to stir things up now and again otherwise the scum will rise to the top.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Do you actually ride it?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    mattbarnes wrote:
    This involves polishing mops, various grades of polishing compounds, metal polishing paste and hours of work! I should know, I did both of these sets of cranks.

Go for it, its worth it. :wink:
    I was with you until you mentioned cranks
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mattbarnes
    Do you actually ride it?

Nope. This is my current steed...notice the carbon cranks!
    p4pb7901353.jpg
    Society is like a stew. You have to stir things up now and again otherwise the scum will rise to the top.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    mattbarnes wrote:
    notice the carbon cranks!
    Give me one reason to, or I shall refuse, good sir. I shall refuse to notice your cranks, so I shall.
  • mattbarnes
    mattbarnes wrote:
    notice the carbon cranks!
    Give me one reason to, or I shall refuse, good sir. I shall refuse to notice your cranks, so I shall.

Is that because you were too busy admiring the rest of the bike? Too much for sir's eye, was it? Do not ignore such finery or I shall besmirch your good name!
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Good name??
  • YeehaaMcgee
    My name's pretty crap, everyone keeps mispronouncing it.