Fat People Need Not Apply

2»

Comments

• capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    d87heaven wrote:

And Amen to the airline charges thing.

+ 1.

I've always considered it to be grossly unfair that I would have to pay for 1kg of luggage over my limit when I see people who are twice my weight flying for the same price.

The older I get, the better I was.

• Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    Who will be left to run the NHS if we take out all the obese and/or fag heads :?:
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    edited April 2012
    team47b wrote:
    Doctors who smoke?

Qualified medically, but are they able to advise on anything that requires will power to break addiction?

I understand 'do as I say, not as I do' but would you be convinced that they were able to tell you something that was clearly unavailable to them personally?
    The validity of advice and the condition of the advisor are completely unrelated.
    Good advice is good advice regardless of who is giving it.
    Remember that the medical person giving advice is only passing on the message, not doing the research.

Can it be that the only people able to advise on addiction are ex-addicts?

Edit:- +infinity for airline charges.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Mad Roadie
    Mad Roadie Posts: 710
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    Who will be left to run the NHS if we take out all the obese and/or fag heads :?:
    if you take out all the fatties and fagheads, we wont need half as many people to run the NHS....

you wouldn't let an alcoholic work in the NHS, yet a chain smoker can - and get paid for standing outside the door whilst the go for thier fix
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    Airline surcharges for excess baggage - couldn't agree more on combined weight of passenger and luggage.. time for a campaign!
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • DF33
    DF33 Posts: 732
    I'm with you on the airline / train seat overspill and charging for it but how do you do it?

For instance I'm 6 feet and 80kg ish, fit into an average seat width wise fine (rarely leg wise but that's another story) so annoy no one traveling next to me. So with a baggage allowance of 25kg and the clothes etc I'm wearing, that's around 110kg gross.

We have all sat next to someone 5 feet 4, obese, spilling over into you, bingo wings various. Probably weighs 60kg so 90kg gross weight. How do you police that?

Electric scales showing BMI? Fat percentage?
    Peter
  • d87heaven
    d87heaven Posts: 348
    Mad Roadie wrote:
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    if you take out all the fatties and fagheads, we wont need half as many people to run the NHS....

you wouldn't let an alcoholic work in the NHS, yet a chain smoker can - and get paid for standing outside the door whilst the go for thier fix

I wouldn't be quite so sure of that
    Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals! Except the weasel
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    BMI, doesn't take into account what the body mass is made up of, so, to me it's pretty pointless as a meaningful way of determining a persons health.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Ron Stuart
    Would you expect to find a fat and/or an ageing weather forecaster on the TV these days?
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    Would you expect to find a fat and/or an ageing weather forecaster on the TV these days?

Becky Mantin was putting a bit of timber on recently, but, she was up the duff. :lol:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    I've a BMI of around 39 and I'm not proud of it. I am however proud of the fact that I've only had two days off work (one occasion) in over two years. This occasion was due to a sports injury. Not employing people because they have a high BMI is complete and utter tosh.

The two days I have taken is since I started a new job a little over a year ago and is considered a very good record by my employers.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Mouth wrote:
    The two days I have taken is since I started a new job a little over a year ago and is considered a very good record by my employers.
    7 days off in 12 years for me.
    1 for pneumonia.
    3 for e-coli.
    2 for broken collar bone (couldn't face a 130 mile drive).
    1 cos, well, just cos.

In my line of work it is clear that no show, no pay is a huge incentive.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Really fat people should be encouraged. After all, with the dwindling oil and gas reserves they could be used to fuel power stations, all that blubber would burn for hours.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    ...wot about renewables...wind power anyone?
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • CambsNewbie
    CambsNewbie Posts: 564
    team47b wrote:
    ...wot about renewables...wind power anyone?

Good idea.. A crap diet produces more wind and obese people generally have crap diet so.. If only we could harness that power! Wouldn't want to be near it though!
  • Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    Hooters
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • I think I kind of agree with their policy, it's all about image. My BMI is 37.

I don't think I'm much of a drain on the rest of you though... I'm 35 and I haven't had a day off sick since I've been with my current employer (10 years) and I haven't yet needed anything from the NHS, not even a filling!

I guess I could be storing up trouble for the future, so I'm trying to bloat down a bit (15.5 mile each way commute and very little wine!).
    '12 CAAD 8 Tiagra
  • Ron Stuart
    BMI can and often is a very misleading way of assessing a persons health as posted previously, % body fat is a far better way.
    It would be interesting to check out the BMI of some of the track sprinters, who are very lean fit individuals particularly the German Sprint Team that powered to gold in the recent World Championships. They are heavy men with huge lean muscle development, yet they would have a relatively High BMI.
    I’m afraid our American chums are barking up the wrong tree here, it’s far too much fat that is the health problem, particularly subterraneous fat around internal organs and the like. Measuring the bodies % fat using a consistent method is the way to go.
    Muscle weighs more than fat by volume, I know, I went down from a 34 inch waist to a 30 inch when I got into my cycling and was far better toned but there has been relatively a small reduction in weight due to the increased muscle mass in my legs and glutes.
    So % body fat is the key but bear in mind that women’s % of fat’s higher limit in a healthy individual is higher than for a male.
    Bit of a guide here: http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/bo ... entage.htm
    Remember different methods even machines and also hydration when using some methods can give varying results. Just try and be consistent with the checks. :wink:
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    "particularly subterraneous fat around internal organs"

Subterranean? - underground
    Subcutaneous? - under the skin
    fat around internal organs? - neither of the above
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    keef66 wrote:
    "particularly subterraneous fat around internal organs"

Subterranean? - underground
    Subcutaneous? - under the skin