Upgrading wheels

mb london
mb london Posts: 96
edited April 2012 in MTB general
Can some explain to me what the advantage would be in upgrading my rims. I have an ex 9, so guess the wheels are fairly entry level, so if I chucked £500 on upgrading the wheels what would I get out of it other than some weight loss (I guess)

Where would the money be better spent? It's not burning a hole in my pocket .......honest :shock:

Comments

• The Bontrager Rhythm Elites its got aren't bad, come in around the £200 mark and should stand up to a fair amount of abuse. They are branded as All-Mountain wheels though and, coming in at 1825g for the wheelset, are fairly girthy.

It depends on the sort of riding you do really... if you're into long XC days, Enduros or XC racing then upgrading to a lighter more XC style wheelset would be a good idea... I've just tested the 29er versions of these and was very impressed... truing for life guarantee

http://www.stradawheels.co.uk/shop/mtb-wheels/

If though you're more into point and play riding at trail centres, bimbling up hills in the granny and then riding down like a loon, I'd stick with what you've got.
  • mb london
    mb london Posts: 96
    The Bontrager Rhythm Elites its got aren't bad, come in around the £200 mark and should stand up to a fair amount of abuse. They are branded as All-Mountain wheels though and, coming in at 1825g for the wheelset, are fairly girthy.

It depends on the sort of riding you do really... if you're into long XC days, Enduros or XC racing then upgrading to a lighter more XC style wheelset would be a good idea... I've just tested the 29er versions of these and was very impressed... truing for life guarantee

http://www.stradawheels.co.uk/shop/mtb-wheels/

If though you're more into point and play riding at trail centres, bimbling up hills in the granny and then riding down like a loon, I'd stick with what you've got.

Very helpful, thanks for that
  • Jedi
    Jedi Posts: 827
    if you can stretch to them mavic crossmax sx :)