Peak District Ride for a 7 year old

Reddwarf1972
Reddwarf1972 Posts: 49
edited April 2012 in Routes
Me and my wife or taking our 7year old to the peak district, hes done the ladybower circuit to death and i would like to give him more of a challenage.
He can manage about 12miles and quite regulary cycles the red route at Sherwood Pines and takes the techey bits in his stride.
Does anyone have any ideas for a decent route that we can ride over the next few days.

cheersa
00 carrea kraken SE(still going)
09 M-trax 2.0ht
11 Cube AMS 100 comp. 2011
12 Canyon Nerve XC 8.0

Comments

• sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    By Ladybower circuit do you mean riding around the shore?
    There's loads of stuff on the hills above Ladybower,some bits more technical/rocky than others.Depends how rough you want it.
    The out-and-back of Cutgate from Langsett(11ish miles) would be doable but without really knowing his ability I wouldn't want to recommend owt.
    The red route at Sherwood Pines is not really a red(compared to others),more like a blue or green so that's not really a guide :(
    The little circuit up behind the Ladybower Inn is shortish but has a nice climb and descent and would give him an idea of what to expect.
    PM me if you want a route description I'd be happy to help 8)
  • I've done a lot of the main routes round Ladybower including Cut Gate myself,(dont think he's quite ready for that one :D , but cheers).
    Think we're going to take him up to Wharncliffe and give that a go or maybe Bits of the red at Dalby form the top car park.
    Think most of the Peak routes may be a bit rocky for a Kids Cube Team 20" bike. :D
    Cheers Ian
    09 M-trax 2.0ht
    12 Canyon Nerve XC 8.0
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Think we're going to take him up to Wharncliffe and give that a go
    Think most of the Peak routes may be a bit rocky for a Kids Cube Team 20" bike. :D
    Cheers Ian
    We've seen a bloke and his lad(about 6or7)on the descent down to the pub a couple of times and he handled it quite well on a little wheeler :D He was padded up to the nines though :D
    Wharnecliffe or Greno woods has some good ST just stay away from the DHs 8) In fact Greno woods is probably better for a lad.
    There's some good stuff in Westwood Country Park (Chapeltown/High Green) non of it marked but loads of ST and some light rough stuff 8)
  • Cheers for that Grenowoods sounds best bet.
    09 M-trax 2.0ht
    12 Canyon Nerve XC 8.0