pre- loading my hope aheadset

OCLV74
OCLV74 Posts: 53
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Right I've damn near finished my build, the problem that remains is when I hold the front brake and 'rock' the front back and forth, there is a load of play in the headset bearings. I've tried moving the 'head-doctor' (read starnut) further down the fork tube and cranking it up silly tight, and still the play exists.. I'm stumped, so here I am looking like a wally, with the answer most likely staring me in the face.. TY in advance
It is written in The Bible, wasps were born from Satan's butthole and must be cleansed with fire, firearms, or vacuum cleaners.

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Do you have enough gap between the top of the steerer and the top of your stem/top spacer?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • OCLV74
    well i have a 10mm spacer currently, but this leaves the stem about 7 or 8 mm to high for the steerer, I have a 5 mm spacer on order, which should have the stem topping the steerer by about 2 or 3 mm which should be ok. What I can't understand is why even moving the headdoctor down a bit inside the steerer, why the play isn't being reduced :/
    It is written in The Bible, wasps were born from Satan's butthole and must be cleansed with fire, firearms, or vacuum cleaners.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Does it work ok with the stem 7/8 mm too high (even if you wouldnt ride it that way)?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    sounds like the hed doctor is slipping - you can measure if it has moved but -

take out the head doctor

really really grease the inside parts and o rings, and refit

make sure its really tight in the steerer tube

but it needs a gap from the top cap, down 25 mm say (its quite a long bolt for preloading)

and more crazy, the bearings in the right way ? crown race seated right? no seals caught?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Even better idea, throw away the expander part, use the top cap and fit an SFN. Lighter, better and cheaper, not many things like that.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    OCLV74 wrote:
    well i have a 10mm spacer currently, but this leaves the stem about 7 or 8 mm to high for the steerer, I have a 5 mm spacer on order, which should have the stem topping the steerer by about 2 or 3 mm which should be ok. What I can't understand is why even moving the headdoctor down a bit inside the steerer, why the play isn't being reduced :/
    Because there isn't a gap between the topcap and top of the steerer tube.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Even better idea, throw away the expander part, use the top cap and fit an SFN. Lighter, better and cheaper, not many things like that.

This but still won't help if there's not enough gap.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • OCLV74
    wheel brake etc are fine, they are brand new and spin without a rub, I'm thinking maybe I overdid the grease lol, I stuck a load in then squeezed everything together and wiped off the excess, but maybe that has caused the play, in any case it's looking like stripping it down and starting over. Good job I enjoy extra fettling, as liverpool are playing tonight I feel an 8 pack with the bike in the lounge tonight is almost certainly the way forward!

having read what's been posted while I was writing, am I correct in assuming the top cap is what pulls the aheadset together and stops the play? Again sorry for being moronic, but the only other headsets I've had were threaded, shows my age I guess!
  • cooldad
    Br_aheadset.png

Not a great pic, but you need a gap between the steerer tube and top cap to preload the bearings. Then you tighten up the stem. Once the stem is tight it holds the whole lot together.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    ps - you are tightening the top cap before the stem bolts?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • OCLV74
    exactly the picture that can help my brain see what is going on, ty bud, next trick will be to not stack it on the first ride !

PS, this was also a problem I have since realised.. (regarding your last post!)
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    I know it seems like pointing out the obvious but is there definitely a crown race on the top of the forks? The amount of times I've had people come in with a similar sounding problem as yours and they have not put the crown race on the forks or it has not been put down flush to the fork crown.

And as for the stem/spacers issue, there should be a minimum of 3mm and a maximum of 10mm gap between the top of the stem and the top of the steerer tube. So the 7-8mm gap you say is currently present should be absolutely fine and adding a 5mm spacer would also be fine making the gap 3mm.
  • OCLV74
    yep the crown race is fitted, mind, it is quite logical that the stem should be above the steerer, for some bizarre reason it didn't seem to click, as I stated earlier, the answer is usually staring you in the face, thank god for the internet, I hate to think how long I'd have taken to work it out. Having removed a bit of grease, (still a ton in there mind) and re-twiddled, headset is super smooth and rock-solid, thanks to everyone who helped out, esp cooldad with the picture that made it all go 'click' for me.
  • cooldad
    No worries. You won't be the first or the last.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools