Is it really a sin?

Rumierider
Rumierider Posts: 16
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Very uncomfortable with my cannondale "road" bike saddle. If I switch it to a more hybrid type of saddle is it really that big a deal? Im not concerned with performance, and should have purchased (in hindsight) a hybrid... thoughts? :lol:

Comments

• roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    na go for it!

saddles have no rhyme or reason, in terms of comfort, if you have a saddle that you like, fit it.

no point with a saddle that is uncomfortable.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    saddles have no rhyme or reason, in terms of comfort, if you have a saddle that you like, fit it.

Like he says, but if you haven't tried it then maybe it'll be just as bad. Just because it's more squashy doesn't always mean it'll be more comfy. If the saddle is designed for more upright riding it might prove less comfrtable in a road bike position. Ideally beg, borrow another saddle and see if there's a differnce. Is it your shorts? Check also your position.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    As above, just use whatever saddle is comfortable. All backsides are different. Invest in some decent padded shorts too - they'll make a massiver difference.

And don't regret buying a proper road-bike just yet. Once you get it set up properly (saddle, etc.) and get some miles in your legs you'll wonder why you ever had any doubts!
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    +1 for decent pair of padded shorts. i got my road bike pretty much year to the day and i was very uncertain i had mad the right choice, but i can't believe that i didn't buy one years ago now! just give it some time and miles.
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • Muffintop
    Muffintop Posts: 296
    -1 for padded shorts. I think they're evil.
    FCN: Brompton: 12, Tourer: 7, Racer: 4

http://www.60milestonod.blogspot.com
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Muffintop wrote:
    -1 for padded shorts. I think they're evil.
    Go for it, at least you have convinced yourself on a roadie forum.....
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    What sort of symptoms are you suffering from? Chafing, sore back / shoulders, numbness? Different symptoms require different remedies; the problem may not be your saddle type at all.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    There's lots of evidence to suggest that squishy saddles create exacerbate soft tissue inflammation rather than reduce it - saddle position and shape is far more critical. There is a reason why the padding is in the shorts.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • DesWeller wrote:
    What sort of symptoms are you suffering from? Chafing, sore back / shoulders, numbness? Different symptoms require different remedies; the problem may not be your saddle type at all.

No chafing, little bite sore back neck shoulders, But I think that's a longer stem, handlebar issue, mostly an uncomfortable butlate and after the ride...
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    if you're overstretching then that wont exactly help your position as you could be putting yourself on the nose of the saddle a lot of the time, and / or tipping yourself forwards. You may also need a different width saddle to the one you have - best to measure up for this if you can which will give you a starting point for a new saddle if needed.
  • joshr96
    joshr96 Posts: 153
    Its not a sin at all. What would you rather do, carry on riding with the uncomfortable saddle and loose interest in cycling because you don't enjoy it, or carry on in comfort with a different saddle?
    No big deal, your call.
    Carrera TDF 2011 Limited Edition.
    Crossbow Hybrid
    Boardman AiR 9.8 one day..
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    All saddles have the potential to be uncomfortable for a finite number of miles until your a@@ up.

Stick with the one you've got and try not to (loose) interest.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    What jim453 said, but also check that you're sitting on your sit bones and that the saddle is level.

Soft saddles usually encourage saddle sores. I have never heard of one being more comfortable than a firm saddle.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    Not a sin at all, but bear in mind that you're not "sitting" on it like a bar stool or your favourite armchair. You're perching there and there's an awful lot of movement going on: hopefully not side to side, but if you pick a point on your inner thigh it's going through a sort of oval trajectory all the time - and passing a point on the saddle that isn't moving at all. The wider and softer you make the saddle, the more it will grip the part of you that's moving as it passes...
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • HebdenBiker
    HebdenBiker Posts: 787
    I agree that a squashier saddle might not solve the problem. It's not the amount of padding that matters. You can experiment with different saddles then sell them on Ebay if they're not right for you. Alternatively, find a Specialized dealer. You can borrow a demo "Body Geometry" saddle suited to your shape (they get you to sit on some memory foam to find out where your sit bones are).
  • klep
    klep Posts: 158
    Rule #61 my friend...
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    I agree that a squashier saddle might not solve the problem. It's not the amount of padding that matters. You can experiment with different saddles then sell them on Ebay if they're not right for you. Alternatively, find a Specialized dealer. You can borrow a demo "Body Geometry" saddle suited to your shape (they get you to sit on some memory foam to find out where your sit bones are).

+1

I bit the bullet and bought a Specialized Toupe Expert last week after a sit-bone measure. First ride was six and a half hours. It looks extremely uncomfortable. It feels hard and unforgiving to the touch. But. . . it was wonderfully supportive, much better than my previous Selle Italia C2 Gelflow, despite the latter saddle looking and feeling (when you squish it with your hand) way more comfy.

Decent thin saddles seem to work by having a predefined amount of flex designed in, so they need virtually no padding. Combined with a big R&D spend on designing the right shape in the first place, of course.

Then again, as always, the caveat is that each saddle will be comfy to some, not all.