mr.tradesman
mr.tradesman Posts: 32
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
Maxxis Minion 2.35 (60a) Folding
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=5849

or

Bontrager XR4 Team Issue 2.35 (60a)
http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/produc ... e&id=18826

Which is best for wet, rocky, loose/muddy conditions?
Whyte T120 2012
Specialized Rockhopper expert
Specialized Stumpjumper Expert

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Out of those two? I'd say minion. But neither are right for the purpose you describe.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Out of those two? I'd say minion. But neither are right for the purpose you describe.

+1
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    minions are fine for said conditions.....not as good as a mud specific tyre, but they will cope OK
  • basically i meant 'winter'
    Whyte T120 2012
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    basically i meant UK conditions
    FTFY
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Personally I would be getting a Continental Baron 2.3 in Black Chili form. Rather expensive but far out performs the Minion in any condition IME and is at home on muddy, rooty and rocky tracks. When I used it on some secret trails that were exactly that I was laughing so loud just because of the amount of grip that was available, they just wouldn't let go.
  • looks pretty good but i just can't afford a £50 tire... :(
    Whyte T120 2012
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Minions cope well with most situations, I run a 2.35 60a front with a High Roller on the back which will be getting swapped for another Minion when its worn.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • is the 2.35 wide enough or is it worth getting a 2.5? my experience is the bigger the better.
    Whyte T120 2012
  • bennett_346
    42a front isnt as bad as people might think wear and drag wise. You should think about using it for wet stuff, much grippier and on the front there's minimal weight distribution (or something) so they barely wear.
  • i have to ride 2miles on road to get to the local trails though...
    Whyte T120 2012
  • peter413
    i have to ride 2miles on road to get to the local trails though...

Honestly thats nothing, I do that with supertacky mud spikes on.
  • sounds good thanks for your help i will be putting my order in soon :)
    Whyte T120 2012
  • bennett_346
    peter413 wrote:
    i have to ride 2miles on road to get to the local trails though...

Honestly thats nothing, I do that with supertacky mud spikes on.
    Same. Our group rode dual supertacky swampthings 10 miles each way to get to our trails for 3 months this winter!
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    Same. Our group rode dual supertacky swampthings 10 miles each way to get to our trails for 3 months this winter!

You guys must be fit as a fiddle now !!
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    I've been running the Minions DH F&R this winter and I'm pretty impressed with them. They cope well with Cannock in the wet and cope very well with the bridleways round home (mud, grass, cowsh, rocky stuff, the usual). They're not so good on Surrey sand, but they're not bad by any means.

The 60a's roll okay too, but they howl like a banshee on tarmac!

I found the blockier tyres, like the XR4 squirm alarmingly for my tastes. The smaller block Bonties are actually quite good in a wide range of conditions, but they can clog a bit too quickly in the clag. SWMBO has a set on hers and she gets on okay with them. But if I was paying, it'd be the Minions i'd be getting.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • sofaboy73
    sofaboy73 Posts: 574
    Go for the minions or anything else that aren't bontys. Demo'd two treks this weekend, both with dufferent bontys on (don't know which sadly - stocks tyres in the slash & remedy) and both were utter surge in wet rocks / roots etc. an alarming lack of grip
  • peter413 wrote:
    Personally I would be getting a Continental Baron 2.3 in Black Chili form.
    Do you run 2 Barons front and back or a mix? If a mix, then where is the Baron and why??
    Thanks!
    LRRs
  • peter413
    peter413 wrote:
    Personally I would be getting a Continental Baron 2.3 in Black Chili form.
    Do you run 2 Barons front and back or a mix? If a mix, then where is the Baron and why??
    Thanks!

Just the one on the front. I normally pair it with a 2.4 Ardent or Advantage on the back. They are a bit quicker and have more volume so less likely to puncture but they are slightly heavier. I would run two in the right conditions if I had the money but I just don't so stick a Swampthing on the back sometimes when it's super muddy but the Ardent/Advantage works fine for me so I usually stick with that to help on the climbs.

On the DH bike with a Der Baron on the front I will normally pair it with a High Roller or Ardent but when it's really wet and rooty I'll stick the Swampthing on the back since the Baron is far superior IMO on roots than a spike. If it's just really wet and muddy though (like the recent IXS at Innerleithen, google it if you want an idea of how wet it was) then I'll use a Wetscream on the front instead but there's no climbing on a DH bike which is why I'm happier using spikes.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I used the Bontrager XR4's for 18 months in all conditions. They drag a lot but are good in mud
  • I used the Bontrager XR4's for 18 months in all conditions. They drag a lot but are good in mud
    I thought XR4 were a fast summer tyre. Did 2.35 rub your frame in mud? I read they are very big tyres.
    LRRs
  • bennett_346
    2.35 isnt very big, they shouldnt rub a frame unless its a carbon race HT.