Upgrade Advice for my bike

NITR8s
NITR8s Posts: 688
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
I currently have a Claud Butler Echelon 2009 which I have had for over a year now and I was wondering what ppl would recommend doing to upgrade it. So far I have only changed the pedals to I-Clic Racer's.

Bike details and spec are as follows.
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/claud-butler/echelon-2009-road-bike-ec018834#features

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Buy a new bike is probably your best bet.
  • NITR8s
    styxd wrote:
    Buy a new bike is probably your best bet.

How did i know someone would come back with this response, if I wanted to buy a new bike my post would have read, please recommend a new bike.
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    A new set of wheels (+tyres) will make the biggest difference, buy the very best you can afford!
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    Do you have a budget in mind?
  • The best upgrade for your bike would be to put new tyres on to it, Schwalbe Ultremo ZX in blue to match your frame.

Next I would suggest a new pair of wheels maybe something like Mavic Aksiums or Shimano RS20's.

Both of these upgrades should make your bike look nicer and roll sweeter.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Tyre
    Tubes
    Wheels
    New bike
  • NITR8s
    The best upgrade for your bike would be to put new tyres on to it, Schwalbe Ultremo ZX in blue to match your frame.

Next I would suggest a new pair of wheels maybe something like Mavic Aksiums or Shimano RS20's.

Both of these upgrades should make your bike look nicer and roll sweeter.

Thanks for the recomendation of Schwalbe Ultremo ZX in blue, they look sweet, I wouldnt really care if they made any physical difference as they would look cool. Plus not to pricey either.

I dont really have an acutally budget, just getting an idea of everyone recommend so I can start saving.
  • sagalout
    sagalout Posts: 338
    Agree about the tyres.

If going for new wheels, may as well look out for a 2nd hand 10 speed groupset from eBay. Should be able to get 105 or maybe even Ultegra for a reasonable price. That will be a nice upgrade and make the bike noticibly nicer to ride
  • NITR8s
    sagalout wrote:
    Agree about the tyres.

If going for new wheels, may as well look out for a 2nd hand 10 speed groupset from eBay. Should be able to get 105 or maybe even Ultegra for a reasonable price. That will be a nice upgrade and make the bike noticibly nicer to ride

To upgrade to 10 speed cassette, Im guessing I would also need to get my hands on some 10 speed shifters. Would I also need anything else, such a new rear derailer.
  • You would also need a new (thinner) chain.

Personally I have 8 speed, 9 speed and 10 speed bikes and it makes no difference to the riding experience at all to me. I click the changer and the bike either gets easier to pedal or harder to pedal. I have never thought "Oh I wish I had an extra cog back there"

A few years back I got sucked into upgrading to a "better" groupset and was thoroughly disappointed with the the results, the bike felt exactly the same and went no faster/smoother. Shimano shareholders enjoyed the experience though!

Stick with the tyres and wheels they at least look good from a distance!
  • richh
    richh Posts: 187
    If you've got the bike in that exact spec and haven't changed anything at all I'd probably look at the following and in the following order:

1) Tyres
    2) Pedals (get some SPD ones and a stiff pair of MTB shoes)
    3) Brake pads
    4) Proper set up (cadence sport?)
    5) saddle (depending on how comfy you find the supplied one)
    6) bar tape (put some of the gel stuff on)
    7) Wheels

and lastly: groupset
  • NITR8s
    richh wrote:
    If you've got the bike in that exact spec and haven't changed anything at all I'd probably look at the following and in the following order:

1) Tyres
    2) Pedals (get some SPD ones and a stiff pair of MTB shoes)
    3) Brake pads
    4) Proper set up (cadence sport?)
    5) saddle (depending on how comfy you find the supplied one)
    6) bar tape (put some of the gel stuff on)
    7) Wheels

and lastly: groupset

1) Going for Schwalbe Ultremo ZX in blue
    2) Already fitted I-clic Racer pedals with Northwave Vertigo pro shoes
    3)good idea.
    4)Not sure about about paying £150 for a bike fit.
    5)Had a bit of a issue with sorness but was resolved when moved seat backwards. So at mo not any problems.
    6)Will look into it.
    7)Again Pricey but oneday.

One thing I was thinking is the bar & seat post are claud butler own brand things, would going for a branded seatpost/bar make the bike lighter.
  • You might save a little weight but that will make very little difference to how the bike rides or how fast it goes.

To be honest the only worthwhile upgrades are things that make your bike look better as this will make you feel better about it.

The only upgrade that will affect speed is making the rider fitter and stronger.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    +1 for tyres and position. Your position on a bike can have the most dramatic effect on your speed(just look at TT racers and their position, most of their speed comes from that not the bike and wheels) Also if you are serious about getting better then have a look at joining a club, you'll get access to fellow riders who can advise you, sell you quality 2nd hand kit and encourage you to ride further/faster. It'll be the best £20 or so you'll spend on cycling.