New research: More youngsters riding rather than driving

13»

Comments

• cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    My first insurance was £680 I think. Fully comp. Was studying in the midlands and age 20.

I tend to agree re property cost whether renting or buying. Explains why you see those who choose not to live with parents in a house share now, where previously the norm was to tend towards younger marriage and living with your spouse I suppose.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I'm confused, at £680 even when studying most could pay that off.

That's a far more managable amount than the £3000+ they're asking under 25s to pay these days and salary/wages haven't gone up that much.

Who can afford to get married!? £10,000 - £15,000 is going straight to the house buying and then the retirement fund and then the kids saving/uni fund and then maybe after those things are covered it could go to the wedding fund I suppose.

But seriously I think most in London cannot actually afford to rent by themselves and live in a semi decent area* and maintain the life that they do (and hope to save). In fact if you take away the borrowing, parental support and impose a reasonable savings plan my generation is so much more poorer than we realise it's not even funny.

*The upside is that more affluent people who cannot afford affluent costs move to poorer area the better and safer the poorer areas become. I've seen a notably improvement in some areas like Camberwell, Brixton, Herne Hill and the like. Can almost drive through them without having to lock the car doors - :wink:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    What crash record?

I've crashed once and neither I or the other driver made a claim. In fact I've never made an insurance claim on my car.

Touch wood.

Sorry D, it was someone else who wrote off three cars in this thread. My mistake, but the point stands.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • DonDaddyD
    SimonAH wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    What crash record?

I've crashed once and neither I or the other driver made a claim. In fact I've never made an insurance claim on my car.

Touch wood.

Sorry D, it was someone else who wrote off three cars in this thread. My mistake, but the point stands.
    It's alright, I know. Our avatars all look alike...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • cyclingprop
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I'm confused, at £680 even when studying most could pay that off.

That's a far more managable amount than the £3000+ they're asking under 25s to pay these days and salary/wages haven't gone up that much.

Who can afford to get married!? £10,000 - £15,000 is going straight to the house buying and then the retirement fund and then the kids saving/uni fund and then maybe after those things are covered it could go to the wedding fund I suppose.

But seriously I think most in London cannot actually afford to rent by themselves and live in a semi decent area* and maintain the life that they do (and hope to save). In fact if you take away the borrowing, parental support and impose a reasonable savings plan my generation is so much more poorer than we realise it's not even funny.

*The upside is that more affluent people who cannot afford affluent costs move to poorer area the better and safer the poorer areas become. I've seen a notably improvement in some areas like Camberwell, Brixton, Herne Hill and the like. Can almost drive through them without having to lock the car doors - :wink:

Yeah as I said, I could and did. I guess the price differential relates to city driving being more risky than countryside? Have you tried running a quote for "another location" to see what the location premium is?

I agree about London rent. Absolutely. Though on the car doors point, I always have and always will lock the doors when driving anywhere. Throwback to a couple of years in Johannesburg!

What *is* your generation DDD?
  • DonDaddyD
    Hang on when were you 20/studying and where did you live for it to be £680.

I'm 30. People who lived in my generation - anyone who can remember He-man and Transformers as a child and were between the age of 6 and 10.

Interesting point about car doors. I don't tend to lock mine through fear of needing to get out of the car quickly and not being able to unlock the doors.
    Food Chain number = 4

• cyclingprop
    Midlands innit. Quite a sporty university town. The difference in location is why I'm interested if you have a theoretical quote from somewhere else...to see what the London premium is.
  • DonDaddyD
    Never done a quote for anywhere outside London. Such is the small horizons of my indoctrinated mind I never even thought to do so...
    Food Chain number = 4