Defy 4 as first commuter bike?

dadofsam
dadofsam Posts: 7
edited April 2012 in Commuting general
Afternoon all!

So probably the 2133424th thread on a subject similar to this but after trawling through maybe 20 pages of search results I decided to just ask the question!

So...Last time I rode a bike having the bounciest suspension was of the upmost priority, however, I now realise, probably due to the glorious weather we are having, I could probably bike to work (4 miles each way) rather than tube'ing it!

My only issue is I need a bike to do it on and have come to the conclusion a road bike will be best, mainly because I am sure I will be craving one after 6 months if I did go ahead and buy a hybid.

But the question is which! Someone has posted on the forums recently with a 2010 Defy 4 for sale, and whilst I am not questioning what price I should pay, etc. I am wondering if this is a good starter for 10 bike that will set me on my way for cycling success (by that I mean not giving up after 2 mins of riding)

Any help would be much appreciated!

Edit: Realised some details may help, I am 6'3", maybe a 33-34inch inside leg, and looking to spend no more than £300 tops

Comments

• the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Yup - the Defy range has been getting stellar reviews this year, and, as I understand it, the 2010 models aren't a lot different to their 2012 counterparts. Not sure whether you can fit a rack on it, but for 4 miles, you should be fine with a backpack.

I would recommend a road bike over a hybrid. And that's from personal (bitter!) experience. Mind you, I'm now craving an n+1 after just a year of having my first road bike. It's a slippery slope....!!
    FCN 3 / 4