Schwalbe tyres - Evo & Pro

mikeyj28
mikeyj28 Posts: 754
edited April 2012 in MTB general
Hi

What are the differences between evo and pro schwalbe foldingtyres?
Is it compound used or just thickness of the carcass?
Is it worth the extra money that the tyre fetches?

Thanks
Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Generally just the compound - each of the pro and evos have several sidewall options as a rule. Evo gives you one of the 3 compounds (pace/trail/ORC), or all three in the triple, while Pro is just the Original (read hard) compound. I would say that the trailstar evo is the one to go for if you want grip.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • mikeyj28
    mikeyj28 Posts: 754
    benpinnick wrote:
    Generally just the compound - each of the pro and evos have several sidewall options as a rule. Evo gives you one of the 3 compounds (pace/trail/ORC), or all three in the triple, while Pro is just the Original (read hard) compound. I would say that the trailstar evo is the one to go for if you want grip.

Thanks Ben
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613

Not quite. There are 2 different carcasses (neither are Pro):

Performance - basic model with ORC compound: cheaper, heavier, tougher, less grippy

Evo - lighter carcass, available with Snakeskin and Double Defence reinforcement. Pre-2011: Triple Nano compound, post-2011: Pace Star, Trail Star, Vert Star, Gate Star compounds depending on the type and size of tyre. Also have a tubeless ready bead.

The Evo carcass is the better one, but Performance tyres will be slightly tougher, some find the Evos fragile.

As I said the compound is a function of the tyre, not really a choice per se. Most of the 2.1"s are Pace Star, some of the 2.25"s are Trail Star etc.