Avid Elixir 7 - Lack of Pressure

Woody80
Woody80 Posts: 324
edited April 2012 in MTB general
I've got a set of Elixir 7s (2012 versions if that helps), I've had the bike for about a month, being used twice a week - mainly at Cannock. They've been good brakes, slightly more progressive than the Formula RXs I had on a previous bike.

However, yesterday, during a particularly disgustingly filthy day for a ride, the front brake started to lose power and eventually came right back to the bar to the point where it did nothing to stop. To top it off I've destroyed all four pads (front and rear) with the gritty slop so I ended up with next to no brakes (close call with a tree ensued...).

My initial thought was to replace the pads and bleed the front brake but then I thought as it's a month old I should probably send it back instead?

Has anyone had anything similar? I can't see why it would need bleeding within a month? No obvious leaks or anything either and it had been absolutely fine?

Gutted that I won't be doing a night ride I'd planned now.... :roll:

Comments

• ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    change the pads first and see if that fixes it before you mess around bleeding them. Sloppy rides with std organic pads will easily destroy brakes before you know it
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    There are tons of people on this forum that will tell you this doesn't happen - but my experience is that an elixir (or Juicy FTM) often needs bleeding, even with new pads in and relatively new. Like ricardo says, try new pads, but dont be surprised if a bleed is also needed.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Woody80
    Thanks for the replies.

I'm not surprised the pads have gone, one 4 hour ride saw to a set of organics in the Peaks over the winter. No idea why they fit them as standard!! There's a 4 pack of sintered on their way.

It seems really strange that the lever lost all pressure during one ride, I'd understand if it gradually got spongy and needed bleeding but to go like this in one ride was a it of a nightmare!

From everything I've read, the 2012 Elixir range are supposed to be fixed from the bleeding problems - don't know anyone who owns any to back that up though!!
  • ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    unfortunately (now i've thought about it and believe it could be the case) a friend's XX brakes tend to do this regularly and has to go back for warranty on the lever seals dying. Hopefully it will be pads for you though :). Either way if they are not very old, I'd take them back if the pads don't work, don't mess with them yourself.
  • Woody80
    unfortunately (now i've thought about it and believe it could be the case) a friend's XX brakes tend to do this regularly and has to go back for warranty on the lever seals dying. Hopefully it will be pads for you though :). Either way if they are not very old, I'd take them back if the pads don't work, don't mess with them yourself.

Lever seals sounds like an option. They're only a month old so I've put a call in and will hopefully hear something back tomorrow. Any ideas how long it took for your mates to be fixed?

Thought I'd borrow a brake off a mate for the time being but I've got matchmaker clamps so can't mount the shifter separately! Trying to get loads of riding in as I'm doing the Dyfi Enduro in a few weeks and have never done anywhere near that distance! Bad timing!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Woody80 wrote:
    I'm not surprised the pads have gone, one 4 hour ride saw to a set of organics in the Peaks over the winter. No idea why they fit them as standard!!
    Because more people ride in conditions were they make sense to fit as standard than once brits who would prefer sintered as standard probably!

If they are worn literaly away then the lever will come back to the bar, do the pads first!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Woody80
    Pads were ordered Monday so should be here today all being well! I'll give that a go first before sending them back!
  • Woody80
    New pads haven't changed a thing! B*gger! It's off to SRAM today. Hope it's back quick as I've booked a weekend in Afan next week!
    Anyone got any experience of SRAM warranty turnarounds?