Boonen Riding Amstel Gold

LeicesterLad
LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
edited April 2012 in Pro race
For the first time in his career this year - but can he win it? I wouldn't put anything past him at the minute...

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Nope.

He weighs 80kilos.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Remember back in the day, when Boonen would lose a few kilo's and then win the Tour.

The next year, it was Hincapie.

Then Cancellera.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    its t martin for the tour now I think
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • LeicesterLad
    Untill this season many had written Boonen off for the classics anyway - Look how that turned out.

He says he will be riding mainly for Chavanel, but did say that the Final climb was easy and suited him...
  • rick_chasey
    Untill this season many had written Boonen off for the classics anyway - Look how that turned out.

He says he will be riding mainly for Chavanel, but did say that the Final climb was easy and suited him...

There's far too much height gained in Amstel for someone of Boonen's size to do well.

The nearest race he did was the 2009 Worlds where he got into a good strong break and blew up when sh!t got real on the final lap.

He's done well in hilly courses in the Tour of Belgian and Belgian nationals, but Amstel is another level up from that.
  • LeicesterLad
    Looks like he will be working for the new team leader then

opqs_pb_20120407063255.jpg
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    I think I may well be completely making this up, but wasn't there a tour stage that finished in the same general area as Amstel a few years ago, and had a similar profile at the run it. IIRC Boonen pretty much didn't do anything, but he did finish with a puncture.

Just checked, 2006 tour had a stage finish in valkenberg, Boonen finished 4th ahead of all the other sprinters, so by all means, did fairly well.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    From the AGR website (before Paris-Roubaix) :
    "I’m certainly looking forward to the Dutch classic, but I have to take into account a lot of fresh riders. Many guys have little racing in their legs so far this season while I already have quite a lot of kilometers," Boonen explained at a press conference Wednesday, April 4th. "But first of all I will be in South Limburg to give something back to my team."

The 31-year-old Boonen thinks he could play a significant future role in the Amstel Gold Race. "But first I need experience. You really need to know the route well if you are going to compete in the Amstel Gold Race. I still have some years left in professional cycling, and I think in the coming seasons I could have a prominent role. This year I will try to take my chances because the Cauberg is a hill that I can handle well. But my first goal is to work for Sylvain Chavanel. Besides that it is also nice to ride the Amstel Gold Race with a view to the World Championships this year with the finish in Valkenburg." Chavanel finished sixteenth in the last two editions of the race.
    Boonen has good memories of arriving the Cauberg. "In 2006 captured the yellow jersey in the Tour de France here while riding on a flat tyre!”

I don't think he'll win it.

I wonder how Gilbert's feeling at the moment. If he's overcome his recent problems he's obviously favourite. J-Rod's riding again this year so he's in with a chance if he's got the form.

Current weather forecast is for sun and cloud with force 3 Northerly winds. Cold.

Steve
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • pottssteve wrote:
    I wonder how Gilbert's feeling at the moment. If he's overcome his recent problems he's obviously favourite. J-Rod's riding again this year so he's in with a chance if he's got the form.

Certainly be interesting to see how Gilbert goes in Braabantse Pijl (did I spell that right?!) tomorrow. J- Rod and Sanchez look good after Pais Vasco too. Is Sagan riding? First classic for him?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    I'm gonna go all out and say that this has Sagan written all over it!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pottssteve
    Sagan is riding, as is Nibali. Interesting that Voeckler is riding with Turgot - worth an outside bet?
  • ddraver
    Is the Cauberg in Valkenburg Steve? I was going through there on the train and wondered? No time (or bike) to get off and have a look though :(
    - @ddraver
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Someone start a full on Amstel Gold discussion thread

And the PTP thread too

I'm too new here to be doing it.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • B3rnieMac
    B3rnieMac Posts: 384
    Omega-Pharma and Gilbert dominated last year, Omega-Pharma and Boonen this year. I wouldn't put amstel past Tom this year.
  • pottssteve
    ddraver wrote:
    Is the Cauberg in Valkenburg Steve? I was going through there on the train and wondered? No time (or bike) to get off and have a look though :(

Yes, the Cauberg is one of the main routes out of Valkenburg, heading towards Maastricht. The train station is on the other side of the town, but only a 15 minute walk to the Cauberg. The road itself isn't that nice to ride as it's quite busy with traffic. It's a nasty little climb. They ride it 3 times in the Amstel race as it loops through Valkenburg.

This year's quite interesting as the final loop cuts across from the Keutenberg and then takes a shorter route into Valkenburg down Daahlemerweg. There's then a very sharp left hand turn onto the bottom of the Cauberg where they will lose most of their speed before the final climb.

LeicesterLad wrote:"true but its not exactly the Alps either..."

True, but there's barely a flat bit. Last week's Volta Limburg had 2250m of climbing over 195km. It's really sapping - surprisingly so, especially if you're a little on the heavy side :oops:

Steve
  • Untill this season many had written Boonen off for the classics anyway - Look how that turned out.

Are these the same sensationalist people who are now tipping him to win Amstel?
  • LeicesterLad

Are these the same sensationalist people who are now tipping him to win Amstel?

I merely asked if it was possible, as has the cycling media. Did you tip Boonen to ride away in roubaix with 56km to go? No.
  • ddraver
    Anything's possible, but the stars will have to align in hitherto unforseen ways for it to happen...

or maybe I ve been watching too much Silent Witness....?
    - @ddraver
  • LeicesterLad
    ddraver wrote:
    Anything's possible, but the stars will have to align in hitherto unforseen ways for it to happen...

or maybe I ve been watching too much Silent Witness....?

It's true, I spose Andy Schleck did finally win a TdF. ;)
  • ddraver
    #Burn

:D
    - @ddraver
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,550
    Think Boonen probably owes Chavanel a good effort in this. So unless Chavanel doesn't have the legs I can't see Boonen even trying it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • arnuf
    arnuf Posts: 98
    So he isn't. Not surprising though.
  • rick_chasey
    Infected foot apparently.
  • ddraver
    I told him that blonde hooker looked dirty! And to stick your foot in her, I meanfor Flips sake Tom!!!

Gah!
    - @ddraver
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    LightweightTM
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,920
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • rick_chasey
    So he'll be back for the ToC, ride the Tour du Swiss, Belgian Nationals, then the Tour?
  • rick_chasey
    Jazzy222 wrote:
    Might be you are right

You'll get used to that.
  • rick_chasey
    So he'll be back for the ToC, ride the Tour du Swiss, Belgian Nationals, then the Tour?

Told ya