Giant Trance

jonnyboy66uk
jonnyboy66uk Posts: 260
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hey guys and girlies

Im looking at chopping in my Xc steed for a one bike fits all purpose as im starting to do more and more trail centre based rides as well as more natural moutain stuff rather than the trails i normally do.

Any one got any feedback on the Giant Trance? I want a bike that will cope with teh heavy stuff but not also be a burden on my local xc trails...

Comments

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    I had one, great bike will cope with any trail centre route and more, just try and ride one as the sizes are a tad on the small size.

I had a medium which was great for chucking around (5ft 11in) only reason I sold it was to buy its big brother.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • andymc06
    andymc06 Posts: 245
    Upgraded from a 2005 Enduro to a 2011 Trance X3 in Jan. Absolutely love it. Very efficient when pedalling, lots of pop for chucking it about and eats anything i have thrown at it on the way down. Went round the Beast at C-Y-B a couple of weeks ago and the Trance was flawless. Only negative is long stem and narrowish bars as standard which I have swapped out for Raceface Atlas kit, but that's personal preference.
    If at first you don't succeed, spend some more money on kit!

Giant Trance X3 2011
  • Sounds promising then.. guess I will have to search around to find a local stealer to take one for a spin..

Is there a giant dealer near swinley?
  • bamba
    bamba Posts: 856
    Recommended ,had mine nearly 2 years now cant fault it, and was a easy transition from ht.
    Enjoy
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    Awesome bike had mine for over 18 months and love it.. :D
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • Bishbosh10
    Bishbosh10 Posts: 268
    +1. Really impressed with mine.
    2011 Giant Trance Ltd, 2016 Revs, XT bits etc.
  • scarbs85
    scarbs85 Posts: 170
    +2 had my X4 for a year now, great bike.
  • andymc06
    andymc06 Posts: 245
    Jonnyboy

Mine is from Mountain Trax, Wokingham. This is pretty near Swinley and I know they allow their demo bikes to be used around Swinley. If you ask nicely I'm sure they'll let you demo a Trance and knock the cost off your purchase price. They are a very reasonable bunch and IMO highly recommended.
    If at first you don't succeed, spend some more money on kit!

Giant Trance X3 2011
  • Thanks for all your answers,,

I am impressed, not one bad word said against them yet..

I will try this place in wokingham, just need to sell my Cube first if anybody is interested!
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    have a look here for your nearest dealer:

http://www.test-ride.co.uk/
  • Do it! I bought an 08 trance 3 and love it - I have upgraded the bars and shortened the stem, but as said earlier that was a personal preference. It easily puts up with all I can throw at it when riding with mates on AM bikes.
    Ragley mmmBop
    Yeti 575
  • hunta
    hunta Posts: 35
    Another one here. Did a day on a Trance X2 when I was on holiday in Moab (when in Rome...), turned out to be an expensive experience! Got home and ordered one.

The only thing I'd say, as others have, is do try for size. I'm around 6' and wavered between the medium and the large. I'd have gone for an inbetweeny if there'd been one, but to be honest, on the other hand I don't think either was wrong. Went for the large in the end as I was concerned about seat post length, but you can always replace it for a longer one.
  • simonp123
    simonp123 Posts: 490
    1mancity2 wrote:
    I had one, great bike will cope with any trail centre route and more, just try and ride one as the sizes are a tad on the small size.

I had a medium which was great for chucking around (5ft 11in) only reason I sold it was to buy its big brother.

I'm 5ft 11in, and I found the medium size actually feels bigger than my medium 2004 Stumpjumper frame.

I recently the Trance X frameset 9with teh RP23) and transfered my bits on to it. Makes a great bike, copes with hits well but seems pretty quick and pedals well. I expected it to feel a little sluggish compared to the 100mm rear travel Stumpy, but I reckon it is quicker up the hills. I have a 120mm fork, so makes the front geometry a touch steeper, but it is much more stable than the Stumpy.
  • Bishbosh10
    Bishbosh10 Posts: 268
    If you are shopping around Wokingham then you should also look at PedalOn in Tadley. they were the best price I could find and I had excellent service from them.
    2011 Giant Trance Ltd, 2016 Revs, XT bits etc.
  • sandy771
    sandy771 Posts: 368
    Went from a talon 29er hard tail to a trance x3 - absolutely love it. As above have shortened the stem (to 70mm) and I am waiting wider bars (should arrive today).

I'm 5.10 and medium seems right for me
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I had a 2010 Trance X3. Excellent bike & I want another one. Absolutely solid bike but fairly light as well.
  • Was a toss up between a Trance X4 and the Specialized Pitch for me last weekend. Very similar bikes and both suited me. In the end i went for the Spesh as it was £100 cheaper, and i wasn't fussed about the 2010 model versus a 2011 Trance. Ordered Monday night, arrived 9am this morning - good service from Certini so far.