Giro d'Italia 2012 - Stage 4: Verona

must-tri-harder
must-tri-harder Posts: 219
edited April 2012 in Tour & expedition
By an amazing coincidence/stroke of luck i just happen to have booked myself and the better half a nice 5 day trip to Verona, would you believe my surprise when i discovered the Giro team time trial will be taking place on the Wednesday whilst we'll be there.

Anyway, I have never been to Verona before or been anywhere near a pro tour event, short of the milk race coming through town a long time ago which doesn't really count I'm guessing.

Any tips or advice for where to best watch it from or what to do on the other 4 days in Verona would be much appreciated.

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,804
    going to be busy....

standing roughly where the cyclist is

you get to see the teams twice. out and back

first the teams hooning in a straight line out and and second tanking into a corner on the way back.. could be a long hot time in the sun thou

or goto any restaurant /bar with a tv and soak up the atmosphere... food is good[if repetitive] but well priced [or was in the early 90's]

plenty to do in Verona sightseeing if you like old tat, the Romano amphitheatre is a decent pile of stones. the Bars and nightlife go on late... the Veronise[word?] like to stay up late and get sleepy in the afternnoon... if you have a bike head north up the numerous ridge lines and valleys...its all good. GIYF you can rent a decent bike off these guys http://www.loslocosbikeshop.com/ and I guess get decent routes.

Verona is a ok little city to spend a few days in
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • DavidCr
    DavidCr Posts: 44
    By an amazing coincidence/stroke of luck i just happen to have booked myself and the better half a nice 5 day trip to Verona, would you believe my surprise when i discovered the Giro team time trial will be taking place on the Wednesday whilst we'll be there.
    Yeah right it was a coincidence, does the better half believe you?? :wink:
  • Total coincidence after spending several hours scouring all of the 2012 grand tour routes and figuring it out .. ha! It's only one day out five away so that seems to have swung it, lots of other nice things to do in Verona itself and nearby, like Venice and lake Garda etc, so I'm led to believe. Bit of a bargain actually £228 each including flights, four nights in verona and breakfasts.

Cheers for the info, had scoped out that bridge as a potential good spot to see them going out full gas and then returning and hitting that corner at speed on the way back, ought to be quite spectacular. Always wanted to see a team TT in the flesh, would be super awesome to follow in a team car if such a thing could be blagged.

Just hope it's not too mad busy everywhere that it makes it a chore getting around. I do expect to have to fight small children tooth and nail for every single piece of souvenir i can get my hands on though, have explained to the other half she may need to negotiate my release from the local Polizia if i get carted away for this ..