Vvvvvvvvvvvvvv.......Juicy!!!

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited April 2012 in Commuting chat
That's how I sounded as I rode into work this morning.....like an old Land Rover on the motorway; Vvvvvvvvvvvvvv....

2.3 Panaracer MTB Tyres and tarma = Vvvvvvvvvvv.......

Wait until I get my Gazzaloddi 3.0 Tyres on their!

Anyway; Avid Juicy 5 hydraulic brakes; Mine need a service.

I am thinking about changing the lines and doing the seals - any advice or tips? I was going to go with braided hoses, quite simply for their dashing looks. However, I have read that a few people have suffered from exploding calipers due to line strength.......!

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    Exploding calipers!!! That doesn't sound good, or particularly likely. I appreciate that the standard lines expand slightly in use but you will pull the brakes hard enough to give the requred stopping power. With braided hoses you aren't going to be stopping any quicker necessarily, just not wasting strength expanding brake hoses. Surely the amount of pressure in the caliper would be the same in normal use. If you were to squeeze the brake lever as hard as you possibly could just for kicks something will eventually give way, but then that would happen anyway ans why would you?
    Do it. Never tried on a push bike, but preferred the feel braided hoses gave on my old Ducati.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    3.0 inch tyres? You big girl, try riding a pugsley around :D

As for the lines, not really worth doing. Does diddly squat for brake feel on push bikes, does look rather dapper though. Especially when paired with the jagwire braided gear outers.
  • gtvlusso
    3.0 inch tyres? You big girl, try riding a pugsley around :D

As for the lines, not really worth doing. Does diddly squat for brake feel on push bikes, does look rather dapper though. Especially when paired with the jagwire braided gear outers.

Single speed - so I can only do the hydro lines for some elegance....
  • Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    I found that fitting braided hoses significantly improved the feel of my Avids but ruined the pistons faster, all said juicy 5s aren't worth servicing, better to replace them.
  • gtvlusso
    I found that fitting braided hoses significantly improved the feel of my Avids but ruined the pistons faster, all said juicy 5s aren't worth servicing, better to replace them.

I don't really have the readies to just replace them....they serve me well, but could do with a freshen as they have never been re-bled for probably 3 or 4 years.

Probably just get away with a re-bleed TBH....then we will see if anything leaks!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    gtvlusso wrote:

I don't really have the readies to just replace them....they serve me well, but could do with a freshen as they have never been re-bled for probably 3 or 4 years.

Probably just get away with a re-bleed TBH....then we will see if anything leaks!

Have you got the bleed kit? If not, even less worth bothering. Have a chat to the MTB folks (most are friendly with a few exceptions!) and see what they say but I recently went through this and found others had finally bled their Juicy's and found it not to make a blind bit of difference. I just changed to 2008/9 SLX brakes (inc new XT discs) for about £100 and most folk think they are far, far better.

PS once place in Leeds I go to refuses to service Juicy 3s. I suspect he wouldn't do 5s either but I didn't ask!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    Go to a chemist and buy a 25ml syringe. I used windscreen washer tube (in stock at work) for the pipe. Bleed kit for a total cost of about £2. Chemist may ask if you are a junkie and give you a funny look when you try to explain.
    What kind of fluid do they use? My Shimano brakes use Shimano Mineral Oil, also known as LHM. Most others use car brake fluid, but not DOT5.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Still, I am in need of a couple of calipers for the back end of the cab...... just sayin'.......

Upgrading would not only be wise for your performance (and of course safety, don't forget the safety aspect) but would enable you to be humanitarian to a chum in need :-D
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • gtvlusso
    I could be tempted to part with the 5's.....they have 203mm rotors, way more than I need on a singlespeed anyway!
  • SimonAH
    gtvlusso wrote:
    I could be tempted to part with the 5's.....they have 203mm rotors, way more than I need on a singlespeed anyway!

If you're serious then pm me with what you're looking for Geoff, I'd actually prefer a mechanical set up for ease of integration, but I'm sure I can come up with a work-around if the price is right.

• gtvlusso
    thinking about this further - you need a standard 6 bolt iso fitting for the rotors - they are huge though, so, you may need to check clearances and obstructions - particularly with a small front wheel.

Lines - you will need to fit new hoses and probably buy separate hydro lines as they tend to come pre-cut to 150cm or 85cm. Fine for the front, but the rear may be a problem if you need more hose.

I assume you will brake the rear axle with a single caliper as opposed to braking each rear wheel with a dual line feed and caliper each?

I am using the MTB at the moment, but if you can hang on until i rebuild the fixie and another brakeset comes up on ebay that fits my needs a lttle better......I also need some welding doing.... Do you have an Oxy/Acc setup?
  • SimonAH
    Hi Geoff,

Front is braked with a mini V which is adequate, the rear has two independent axles with 160mm disks already fitted inboard of the wheels. My intention is to use one as a handbrake and t'other as an additional stopping brake (given the geometry I don't anticipate any 'slew' from rear braking just one side although I may consider using a splitter and pulling both together.... hmm, starts thinking...)

No hurry whatsoever by the way.

Re the welding I have Mig only at home rather than oxyacet, but I'm pretty good if you want something done?

• gtvlusso
    These are in better nick than mine - Mine have been up and down a few trails and off a few cliffs:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Avid-juicy-5- ... 3a7304d96b

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/avid-juicy-5- ... 1c25c7d63e

I have a cunning welding plan!!!!!!!