Deep Section Wheels

Mr Dog
Mr Dog Posts: 643
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Quite a simple question. What advantage is gained by using deep sectioned wheels, and if you live in a windy hilly location is there much point? :?
Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?

Comments

• estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    so the main killer is side wind

the benefits are such things as stiffer wheel and slightly lighter (shorter spokes), the rim dimensions will help with deflection on side loading and such things

most normal people would benefit from carbon rims, but remember you are not a pro, so don't but a set of 85-90mm deep rims, the pros have a choice of many rime depths and choose according to the predicted weather, most normal people cannot afford 3 or 4 sets of wheels with different rim profiles and if they were tubs, you will spend a lot of lime gluing...... so clinchers all the way
  • Mr Dog
    Thanks for your help estampida. I run Shimano RS10s in the winter and RS80s in the summer. Its often really gusty around this area so I've invested in a pair of Ksyrium Elites to help me improve my climbing. Having just read the article on the Spin Supersonics and I wondered if I'd bought the right wheels.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    estampida wrote:
    most normal people would benefit from carbon rims

If only most 'normal people' could manage maintaining an average speed of over 20mph and ride ribbon-smooth roads of tarmac? Unless you're riding at racing speeds all the time, there's little benefit and our typical UK, pot-holed strewn roads - I've bust two carbon rims in my last two races due to potholes.

I'm afraid the reality is that many people who ride them are simply posing with their "look-at-me, pro-look" wheels who enjoy the sound they make? :?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    Monty Dog wrote:
    estampida wrote:
    most normal people would benefit from carbon rims

.... an average speed of over 20mph and ride ribbon-smooth roads of tarmac?
    :?

yes _ i can do this, but dont trust deep rims on poor roads, and hate them in cross-winds - so as a rule of thumb if the wind is over 20 kph, I dont do deeper than 38mm
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    If you need deep wheels, you wouldn't be asking ;).
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    i use durace 50s as day to day (as they came with the bike) and i have sram80s as well. i prefer the 80s and in the cross wind the 80s are easier to handle by miles due to the rim profile. I ride smooth roads as i live in mallorca and when out on a good run I rarely go below 23mph and the the srams hold onto the speed so much more than the dura ace wheels. I want a set of c24 for the mountains but they weigh so little difference to the 50s i think I wouldnt notice the difference. although the srams are a lot heavier they dont feel it on the bike. had 2 sets of cosmic carbones last year too they were good but again not great in crosswinds but ive only ever had one wobble that did give the strawberry a lift and that was dropping down a mountain road at 50mph and then a gust came from nowhere but i got away it but now if its windy I still use the deep wheels as i dont have any other option. Im fast and heavy so maybe a lot less affected by the wind than the super slim i often encounter while out. They do make you bike look good though and they make a great noise if thats your thing.
    in my sig below is my bike with the 80s on
  • Mr Dog
    :shock: :shock: :shock: All this talk speed and bling, I've only myself to blame for asking the question. :shock: :shock: :shock: I'm off for a bimble.
  • Mike39496
    Mike39496 Posts: 414
    I live in a hilly, windy area and have a set of wheels with 30mm sections on them, I'll let you know if they actually help in the cross winds and on the hills when they arrive.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Cant see how a 30mm rim would help in the wind. Unless you compare it to even deeper rims. They'd have been classed as deep rims a few years back.

If its hilly and or windy - then conventional wheels are the best bet. Lighter and less susceptible to side winds.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    So the two informed responses are from Majorca and Doha - not exactly typical UK riding conditions :?

I'll call-out anyone who rides carbon wheels on club runs and sportives as a "poseur" unless they spend the entire ride on the front pushing wind to demonstrate how effective they are ;-)
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    I built myself a pair of 50mm Chinese wheels using tubs, love them to pieces, they are so different and when you kick up to about 23-25 mph they make it so much easier to maintain that speed.

I liked them so much I bought some Campag Tubular Bora's, fantastic wheels and very stiff, not as comfortable as the Chinese rims but really light.

For me it harks back to the old days when everyone rode tubs, bring them back, they are so much nicer that clinchers.

I bought tubs as I didn't feel I could justify some deep dish clinchers and I feel I made the right decision.

I will ride tubs when the weather is good and I know I am going to be riding a hard ride, no point using them in winter or in shite weather.

I ride a bike to enjoy it and if anything adds to that pleasure then great.
  • Barrzy257
    Barrzy257 Posts: 411
    Would anybody be willing to give a max weight on an average £600-800 carbon wheel, 30-50mm?
  • i use durace 50s as day to day (as they came with the bike) and i have sram80s as well. i prefer the 80s and in the cross wind the 80s are easier to handle by miles due to the rim profile. I ride smooth roads as i live in mallorca and when out on a good run I rarely go below 23mph and the the srams hold onto the speed so much more than the dura ace wheels. I want a set of c24 for the mountains but they weigh so little difference to the 50s i think I wouldnt notice the difference. although the srams are a lot heavier they dont feel it on the bike. had 2 sets of cosmic carbones last year too they were good but again not great in crosswinds but ive only ever had one wobble that did give the strawberry a lift and that was dropping down a mountain road at 50mph and then a gust came from nowhere but i got away it but now if its windy I still use the deep wheels as i dont have any other option. Im fast and heavy so maybe a lot less affected by the wind than the super slim i often encounter while out. They do make you bike look good though and they make a great noise if thats your thing.
    in my sig below is my bike with the 80s on
    jeez - nice cars! they yours?
    Battaglin C11
    Carrera LRS2
    Carrera Jabberwock
    Kona Paddy wagon fixed
    Carlton Catalina
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    my thoughts entirely
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Monty Dog wrote:
    I'm afraid the reality is that many people who ride them are simply posing with their "look-at-me, pro-look" wheels who enjoy the sound they make? :?

Yep, that's me :lol:

I don't race and have no intention to, but have a lovely set of Aeolus 5.0 ACC wheels. They look great and sound great and I'm sure that the red decals make me go faster, (They do feel very fast on smooth tarmac, but I haven't tried to quantify this).

To be honest, I wouldn't have bought them at £1k for a set, but was in the market for a set of wheels and was offered them with 1000 miles on them, for £400. That's too good to refuse............ and did I mention, they look great !!

:mrgreen:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Mr Dog
    So they make it easier to maintain speed. :)
  • BruceG
    BruceG Posts: 347
    MattC59 wrote:
    Monty Dog wrote:

I don't race and have no intention to, but have a lovely set of Aeolus 5.0 ACC wheels. They look great and sound great and I'm sure that the red decals make me go faster, (They do feel very fast on smooth tarmac, but I haven't tried to quantify this).

To be honest, I wouldn't have bought them at £1k for a set, but was in the market for a set of wheels and was offered them with 1000 miles on them, for £400. That's too good to refuse............ and did I mention, they look great !!

+1 on this, if they make you happy then go for it, I have a pair of Mavic Carbone SLR, I am never going to bother anyone in a race, however I like the look of them on my bike, therfore they add to my riding pleasure.
    Its not always about only the best/fastest riders having the best kit. If you can afford it, and you want it then get it.
    If I could afford it I would have a Ferrari, doesnt mean I can drive like Schuey! but it would make me feel good
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    Mr Dog wrote:
    So they make it easier to maintain speed. :)

Yes. Thats if you got the legs to maintain good speed in the first place.
  • Mr Dog
    Yep that was the question and how they are affected by winds. Seems a justification bun fight ensued instead. If I was rolling around in cash I might be tempted, but at the speeds I can manage there seems little point. :D
  • Simonhi
    Simonhi Posts: 229
    Love my Enve clinchers, don't race so not worried about pot holes too much, manage to avoid most of the rough stuff so I'm not too precious about them.

Find them great above 20mph when i'm on a nice flat section they seem to hold onto their speed better than previous Ksyrium SR's.

Considering buying the 25 tubulars for when things get hilly and if I like tubs then I will probably switch to a deeper tub as well and sell the clinchers.

Are tubs hard to live with ?
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    cadseen wrote:
    I road race and do fast training, (chaingangs) on deep sections and still find them better in cross winds. Although many are nervous of them in the wind, just getting used to them is all that it needs sometimes. Used 50mm for many years and now gone up to 66mm and i find the advantage noticeable over the 50mm.

7e7870af
    Maybe the cross winds you describe are merely cross breeezes :-) Two years ago I was almost lifted off the road in bad cross winds in Wales and got blown completey across the road and onto grass verge so not sure how you claim deep section to be better in cross winds, I have never had any issue with normal rims surprisingly.
    Doesnt matter how experienced you are, or how strong or even how heavy, if you get a bad ghust of cross wind it is impossible to hold a straight line on deep rims , IMO :D
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    BruceG wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:
    Monty Dog wrote:

+1 on this, if they make you happy then go for it, I have a pair of Mavic Carbone SLR, I am never going to bother anyone in a race, however I like the look of them on my bike, therfore they add to my riding pleasure.
    Its not always about only the best/fastest riders having the best kit. If you can afford it, and you want it then get it.
    If I could afford it I would have a Ferrari, doesnt mean I can drive like Schuey! but it would make me feel good
    +1, i have cosmic carbones, aint going to race but love my time on the bike, either on my own or in a group. will always buy the best gear i can afford rather than buy cheap sh!t. If some peeps who may be quicker than me but can't afford what i can don't like the idea that an 'unprofessional' rider has nice gear that's their problem, i'll keep on ridin' and smilin :)
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    on deep section wheels tho' they do annoy my riding pals as it always sounds like there's a car behind us
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • BruceG
    BruceG Posts: 347
    on deep section wheels tho' they do annoy my riding pals as it always sounds like there's a car behind us
    To be fair I have had this complaint to, although it was made tongue in cheek
  • gmb
    gmb Posts: 456
    I've got deep section wheels.

I go no faster than with my old wheels, but, in my mind, I look cool as...

(obviously to everyone else I look like an overweight bloke going very slowly).
    Trying Is The First Step Towards Failure

De Rosa Milanino :-
    http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78 ... -00148.jpg