Bike Travel insurance

hatone
hatone Posts: 228
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
I'm looking to take out a travel insurance policy for a France trip in the Summer.

As I have a valuable bike, I'm struggling to find a policy that covers the full value of the bike in lost baggage. The most I could find is £2.5k which isn't enough.

Does anyone know of a good sport/bike travel insurance policy that covers the full value if possible, if such a thing exists?

Thanks

Comments

• cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    Is it possible you could get it added to a household policy ?
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • hatone
    hatone Posts: 228
    Possibly but I'd rather take out a separate policy just for the time period I'm away.

I'm guessing £2.5k is the maximum baggage cover...?
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,161
    coverage of baggage on international flights is subject to treaty, the per-passenger amount is capped at around 1100 quid (it's defined as 1131 sdr, so it depends on exchange rate at the time), this is not much cover to start with, and in the event of loss/damage any payment will be based on depreciated value, so it's pretty poor cover

some airlines will let you pay for excess valuation to increase cover, but imho it's better to get proper insurance and not rely on an airline where you are at the mercy of complex terms of cover

i've got m&s premier contents cover, it also covers my bikes, laptop etc. away from home worldwide, when i took it out, the cost of the m&s unlimited contents cover including a bike with a declared value of 6k was about the same as the limited contents cover without the away from home cover - it's possible new policies may have different terms
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny