Road bike pro cycling iPhone app free today

Rigged
Rigged Posts: 214
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
Just a heads up that the above app is on the AppStore for free today. I've not used it yet but it looks pretty nice and is normally pretty expensive so pick it up for free whilst you can and share what you think!

(I'm not affiliated with the app in any way)

Comments

• Rigged
    Not sure if anyone else downloaded this but I used it for the first time today and have to say it's probably my favourite GPS app. There screen is split between 6 customisable display functions on screen - which is considerably more than my previous favourite, RunKeeper - and a live map. You can drag up the half displaying speed etc. to display the map fullscreen if you wish. There's also the ability to listen to your playlists and control them direct from the app and have it speak feedback if you like that, although these two functions aren't something I've used yet. The final feature I really like is the ability to download maps for use offline so you can still find your way should you disable 3G or pass out of its coverage.

Battery drain didn't seem excessive and it returned exactly the same distance measurement for a ride I often did using the RunKeeper app which gives me a little more confidence in the accuracy of the two, or at least their consistency.

Then online it's very easy to download and export the .GPX files for upload to Strava (I don't like the Strava app itself but love the online side of it).

The only thing missing is a pause function for the cake stop!

All in all really pleased with this. Sadly, it's back to £3.99 on the app store but having used it I'd probably actually be happy to pay that amount!
  • surreymtb
    surreymtb Posts: 26
    Just as another option I have found BikeBrain pretty good and it's free!

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/biologic-bikebrain-gps-bike/id424193629?mt=8

It has a live map, training profiles, bike history and the usual speed, avg, top etc etc. It also pauses the ride time when you stop for cake and punctures :P

cheers
  • I've just checked the app store and its £3.99. The lite version is free tho.
  • p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    I use the bike brain too, it's very good and free, I did pay for the pro version as well, at 1.99 an excellent app in my humble opinion.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • DF33
    DF33 Posts: 732
    I downloaded it when free. haven't used it yet but it looks good.

However the lack of a pause function is a pretty major flaw imo, so if that is the case i'll stick to endomondo
    Peter
  • p9uma
    DF33 wrote:

However the lack of a pause function is a pretty major flaw imo, so if that is the case i'll stick to endomondo

The Bike Brain app does have a pause function if you want to look at that, it's free also, unless you want the upload features.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • Is the the tight ar5e club?. A couple of quid for a bit of software that presumably you will use for years appears to be a bargain. Must admit that I dont have such toys, my humble 15 quid bike computer suits me ok. I did invest in a heart rate monitor a 2 years ago when I trained for the etape - that was useful to determine fitness and optimise effort to achieve endurance. Whats a good website to look at that will introduce me to what I can do with these apps and how they fit into a training program? Cheers Rob
    Hills do make I sweat a lot
  • p9uma
    Is the the tight ar5e club?. A couple of quid for a bit of software that presumably you will use for years appears to be a bargain. Must admit that I dont have such toys, my humble 15 quid bike computer suits me ok. I did invest in a heart rate monitor a 2 years ago when I trained for the etape - that was useful to determine fitness and optimise effort to achieve endurance. Whats a good website to look at that will introduce me to what I can do with these apps and how they fit into a training program? Cheers Rob

Whoa! I paid for my App. :mrgreen:

Anyway you need to look at the Apple App store for the apps, but they are no good unless you have an iSomethingorother to use it on.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • Rigged
    DF33 wrote:

I googled to see if there was a pause function for this app that i'd missed and it looks as though there was an auto-pause feature they had problems with so removed but want to re-introduce when they've ironed out the reliability of it. In the meantime if pause is important then endomondo isn't bad but I do prefer runkeeper. Luckily I'm not doing distances that need a cake stop currently so it's not a feature I need immediately :)
  • sweet22
    sweet22 Posts: 1
    There is in roadbike pro a pause function. Just slide to stop in the app and left it as it is. There should be menu with these options: stop and save session, stop and discard session and resume. And above this menu the app says session paused! You have to left it as it is and you can lock the phone or just put the app on the background. Only don't off it in multitasking. After pause when you want ride further you just choose resume and that's it. The app will work furhter and it will track whole session. I hope I explain it clearly.

scaled.php?server=191&filename=photo170512142603.png&res=landing