Boardman Pro FS 2011 / 2012

baser
baser Posts: 127
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi Bike Radar

I am on the hunt for a new full suss (my first) trail bike. I am looking at the Boardman Pro FS 2011 / 2012. I am unable to find any reviews of the bike so who out there has one? What do you think of it? How does it ride? Does it have any limitations? So far I have only been able to sit on one which wasn't my size so pretty useless etc.

I am looking at the Boardman as the spec is great for the money, I also have a 2008 PRO hardtail which has been a great bike just looking at riding some bigger trails.

Thanks

Lee

Comments

• broona
    broona Posts: 414
    I've got a 2012 FS Pro that I picked up over Christmas for £1150'ish after discounts.

Only been into mountain biking for the last 6 months, so I'm no expert at all, but willing to try and help out.

Previously rode a massively upgraded GT Avalanche 4.0, which was a lovely bit of kit, but the Boardman is something else again over the rough stuff. Soaks up the bumps perfectly, very fast uphill (even with me riding it, lol!), and equally as fast as my mate's 140mm Lapierre Zesty 214 or another mate's 140mm Commencal Meta 5.5.2 downhill, the 130mm of travel seems to cope just as well as either of them.

I'd highly recommend one, but my experience of FS is limited to a few months with mine, and a blast on my mate's, so you'd be best off taking one for a spin if you can.

PS, I should also mention that I'm on my second one, first one developed a fault with the BB that turned out to be something more serious, but Halfords had a new bike ordered and built up for me within a week, and a £30 voucher too, cracking customer service! :D
  • Hi broona, do you mind telling me how you managed to get this bike for such a smashing price ?
  • broona
    Hi broona, do you mind telling me how you managed to get this bike for such a smashing price ?

It was reduced from £1800 to £1500 over Christmas, then there was a 10% discount code for Boxing Day only, and I also had a 10% NHS code, bringing it down to £1215 in store, but I also went through Quidco, knocking an extra £40'ish off, complicated but worth it! :twisted:
  • Whats the NHS code if you don't mind me asking ? is it possible for anyone to get?
    Also can i ask what size frame you have as im 6 foot 4 inch tall and see that the large is a 19inch frame.Wondering if the bike might be too small for me.
  • broona
    Whats the NHS code if you don't mind me asking ? is it possible for anyone to get?
    Also can i ask what size frame you have as im 6 foot 4 inch tall and see that the large is a 19inch frame.Wondering if the bike might be too small for me.

Apologies, it was NUS not NHS, lol!

I used NUSDEC11, but apparently NUSAPR12 now works to the same effect.

I bought a medium 18", and it's perfect for me at 5'10", but my 6' mate who runs a LBS rode it and said it felt a little cramped for him.

According to the Boardman geometry page, there's only 20 to 30mm difference in the top tube and seat tube between medium and large, so it may be a little small, and Halfords can be awkward when it comes to testing one out!
  • OK , thanks for your help.