London To Brighton Off Road 2012

diddyfunk
diddyfunk Posts: 252
edited April 2012 in MTB general
Hi Guys

I'm thinking of entering this in September and wondered if any one has experience of this?

Would I be out of my depth on a 150mm Stumpjumper Evo?

Any ideas on tyre choice - High Rollers?

Many thanks in advance
2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert Evo
08 Scott Scale 60 - http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy25 ... CF2299.jpg

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What about the Scott in your sig?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • diddyfunk
    diddyfunk Posts: 252
    The scott is a little on the small side for me on a long ride!
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert Evo
    08 Scott Scale 60 - http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy25 ... CF2299.jpg
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I'm up for that - never heard of it before, but it sounds good, plus the logistics will be a tad easier than the randonee, which I am also doing. 75 miles sounds reasonable. Anyone know the route.

Tyre choice will entirely depend on the weather, but fast rolling tyres would be my first choice.
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
  • Andy Dobson
    Andy Dobson Posts: 366
    I was booked to do this last year. Unfortunately, I had to pull out due to having a leg operation pulled forward to just 2 weeks before the ride.

I still have the info pack they sent me with last years route (it never changes apart from the checkpoints). Basically, It starts at Richmond Park and goes through Richmond, Teddington and Shepperton on the Thames towpath, across Chertsey marshes to West Byfleet, across Ripley Common to West Horsley. The Route then Climbs over the hill from West Horsley to Shere for lunch break. From Shere it climbs over Winterfold and decsends into Shamley Green where it joins the Downslink. Follows the Downslink all the way over the South Downs via Thunder Barrow Hill and drops into Shorham. Final leg is all road from Shorham to Brighton along the seafront.

I was tied to doing it on a 5" travel full sus Marin and a lot of the people I saw on the Downslink the day of the ride were on full sus bikes so I don't see the Spech being a handicap so long as you have a lockout on the rear shock.

I live on the Downslink just outside Cranleigh so I know the area fairly well.

Hope this helps.
    Beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy :-)
  • Andy Dobson
    Andy Dobson Posts: 366
    OK..Having looked at the post above mine, looks like they have changed a chunk of it from last year. :roll:
    Beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy :-)
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    being even lazier, is there a fit or gpx file for that route - I couldn't see one. Seems like a very pleasant ride.