Bike hire in Majorca, Palmanova/Magaluf, also Can Picafort?

broona
broona Posts: 414
edited July 2013 in Tour & expedition
Anyone recommend anywhere please? Off for a long weekend on Thursday, and me and my brother would like to get out on the bike for a day. Cheers.

Also, the me and the family are going to Can Picafort in June, and I'd like to hire a bike for a couple of days then, so any recommendations for that area would be much appreciated too. :D

Comments

• Procyclehire.com in Pollensa will deliver and pick up, i think. Good quality bikes and good service.
  • broona
    Thank you, I've just sent them an email. :)
  • broona
    Reply from Procyclehire, 'All of our bikes were booked before Christmas for April', lol!

Any other recommendations please?
  • I hired form this lot when I was there 3 weeks ago:- http://www.bicycle-holidays.com/index.php shops all over the island, nice condition bikes too
  • broona
    I hired form this lot when I was there 3 weeks ago:- http://www.bicycle-holidays.com/index.php shops all over the island, nice condition bikes too

Thanks for the link. Did you hire the bikes on a daily or weekly basis, as the site seems to suggest they only cater for weekly bookings?
  • I hired for a week but but they do offer it on a daily basis but sadly you can't make a reservation, seemed to have plenty of bikes mind when I was there. See here http://www.bicycle-holidays.com/index.php?TPL=10118
  • broona
    I hired for a week but but they do offer it on a daily basis but sadly you can't make a reservation, seemed to have plenty of bikes mind when I was there. See here http://www.bicycle-holidays.com/index.php?TPL=10118

Thank you, I've sent them an email too, so hopefully they can accommodate us. :D
  • Bonno
    Bonno Posts: 69
    Hi,
    Sorry only just seen this post , but having been to Majorca several times and hired bikes there i can recommend http://www.wheelssport.net/
    Their main shop is in Alcudia, but they also have a branch in C'an picafort where i stayed last year.
    The guy in the shop was very helpful and told me next time if i e-mailed him he would drop the bike at my hotel! When i returned the bike i'd hired he shut up shop and took me back to my hotel in the shop van!
    The bike was an almost new specialized allez
    Happy trails
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    I have used http://www.bicycle-holidays.com/index_en.php?TPL=10119
    in Can Picafort. Good bikes and great service. The shop is really good and you can pick up some bargins on clothing.
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    if you jump on a bus to alcudia there is a new shop called Bimont (well they just moved) they are now near the buger king roundabout. they have just took delivery of a fleet of brand new Orbea hire bike and they look lovely. 20 euro a day or 120 for the week if i remember correctly i cycled past the other day and had a look at them.
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    Bike hire seems to have shot up in Mallorca. They are probably aware of how airlines are overcharging for bikes and the Hopper transfer buses from the airport are now charging £10 each way for a bike! Beore they never charged. It costs more to put the bike on the bus than they charge for the passenger! Plus they don't let you book it online or tell you how much it is. You have to book yourself on the bus then ring them with your booking no and they then charge your card for the bike, but you have already made your booking before you get the price for the bike which could be anything. Crazy system. I only found out when I e-mailed them to complain. Everybody is at it. :roll:
  • broona
    Thanks for all the replies.

It rained most of the time, so we sat in the pub and got drunk instead, lol!

Plenty of choices for our fortnight in C'an Picafort though, will probably hire a bike more than once, so may try out a couple of different shops. :)
  • 4kicks
    4kicks Posts: 549
    On top of which there is now a trend for hire & other bikes being stolen off the road here, 2 of my clients got hire bikes pinched in campanet, for gods sake. I think Pollenca Cycling is probably the cheapest on the north coast, 20 Euros a day - Huetzeler has put up their prices a lot
    Fitter....healthier....more productive.....
  • klep
    klep Posts: 158
    One week of hiring a nice bike at Max Hürzeler = €115
    Bring your own well known and trusted bike on airplane = €100
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    klep wrote:

What about the cost of bike box?? A decent one does not come cheap
  • NWLondoner wrote:
    klep wrote:

What about the cost of bike box?? A decent one does not come cheap

+ as already stated, every time I have been out there the bus to the hotel and back has always charged extra for anyone with their own bike!

Its hire every time in Mallorca for me, there are so many hire shops all renting nice bikes. Just dropping off the bike rather than having to dismantle and pack it up after a long ride on the last day is the clincher.
  • bigjim
    I got back yesterday from Majorca after hiring a bike for a week and it was great. Saves a lot of hassle although I believe they are seriously overpriced. The bike shops are well aware of airline carriage costs going through the roof plus the buses charging and they adjust their hire prices to match. Just do the maths. A £1000 bike [even if they pay that] at £100 a week. A £10,000 Corsa £108 a week. It just does not add up IMO.
  • NWLondoner
    Who did you hire from??
  • bigjim
    I stayed in Alcudia at hotel Braccaccio, would recommend for cyclists, has a huge bike garage with bike storage hooks, floor pump and work stands. Found the bike shop a couple of blocks from hotel on the front. It was called WHEELS and has an orange logo . They have 3 shops including one in Can Picafort and a website with prices etc. I paid 92 Euros for 6 days for 105 equipped Elite. They measured me up, altered the bike to fit including changing stem and fitted my saddle. Bike was ready to go next morning. No problems. Guy in there is a Brummie.
    7268437022_acaf643c28_z.jpg
  • NWLondoner
    That saddle pack not big enough LOL

I'm tied between booking a carbon team massi or a titanium van nicholas with pro cycle??
  • bigjim
    That saddle pack not big enough LOL
    Got to take your picnic. :) The weather not great either so jacket was stashed.
  • 4kicks
    4kicks Posts: 549
    bigjim wrote:
    I got back yesterday from Majorca after hiring a bike for a week and it was great. Saves a lot of hassle although I believe they are seriously overpriced. The bike shops are well aware of airline carriage costs going through the roof plus the buses charging and they adjust their hire prices to match. Just do the maths. A £1000 bike [even if they pay that] at £100 a week. A £10,000 Corsa £108 a week. It just does not add up IMO.

Actually the bike hire prices here havent increased much in the last 5 years, although there has been some "last minute" price increases, and April is now just SCARY for the number of cyclists here. Bike hire here is always about finding the best deal. I know three places where you can hire a new carbon bike for under 20€ a day, even 15€ - www.sescapada.com, www.niuwave.es and http://www.pollensacycling.com/.

The business model is different for cars as essentially the hire cars are sold on as nearly new after a seasnons use, avoiding new car taxes, for a profit -in addition to which most car hires at that price will then sting you for petrol with an empty/full policy (adds 60-100€), second driver/ CDW and other extra insurances (ca 50€), plus a number of marginal practices like giving you a dirty car then charging you for damages which you couldnt have spotted as the car was dirty (take a bow, OK car rental) and believe it or not, cars without a jack or spare wheel requiring you to pay for their callout services if you get a flat (yes Hiper, Im talking about you!)
    Fitter....healthier....more productive.....
  • broona
    We're in Can Picafort now, bike hire booked with Wheelsport for this Thursday and next Thursday, seem like a canny bunchof lads, and not stupidly expensive, perfect. :)
  • broona
    And Thursday was ridiculously hot, so I rebooked for Monday, managed 27 miles before the heat kicked in, and I came back to the hotel looking like I'd just got out of the shower, the sweat was running off me, ha ha!
  • Top of the line roadbikes for hire at Bikehead Mallorca (http://bikehead.se), Cannondale Supersix EVO with Di2 Groupset. Their shop is located in Alaró but they offer delivery/pickup all over Mallorca.
  • RowanM
    RowanM Posts: 20
    I am planning a last minute trip this weekend, hoping to spend Sunday on a (rental) bike. I am getting the idea that I need to book ahead, is that right? I will be in Palma, and if anyone knows a place near there where I can walk in and hire a decent road bike I would love to hear about it!
    I'm riding the Giro d'Italia for charity in 2013. Check it out at www.tourletour.com!
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Bit late now but I used Rad International, they have 3 offices and its also around €99 for a weeks hire.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • Today I used Berganti bikes, http://www.bergantibikes.com/index.php?p=home. They're in a good location for anyone in the south of the island, just east of Palma. The bikes are in excellent condition and the two knowledgeable assistants couldn't do enough for us to make sure we were happy with the bikes. They also offer a free breakdown service if you ever need it.
  • steveb1020
    steveb1020 Posts: 55
    Hi going to Marjorca at the end of August been reading all the posts about various cycle hire and shops , but does any of these places actually do group rides , I've never cycled in Majorca before and would like to cycle as a group , if it helps my average is normally between 18mph and 20 mph thanks a lot .
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Gilgongo wrote:
    Top of the line roadbikes for hire at Bikehead Mallorca (http://bikehead.se), Cannondale Supersix EVO with Di2 Groupset. Their shop is located in Alaró but they offer delivery/pickup all over Mallorca.

Yep great service great bikes I used them this May and will definitely use them again. I'm still not sold on di2 though.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.