madison rs 3.0 wheels

ianbar
ianbar Posts: 1,354
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
hello, i wondered if anyone had any opinion on these wheels? they are what came as standard on the caad8 i have. i can't see any reviews or any even for sale so i guess there a kind of made for the bike type thing? i was wondering how they compared to other wheels etc
enigma esprit
cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I think madison are the UK distributor for Shimano?

I noticed these on the Cannondales when visiting several bke shops recently and thought about them too.

Cannondale also use Shimano RS10 wheelsets on some of their bikes which is the entry level wheel in that shimano range so I suspect the Madisons to be a similar spec (albeit badged differently).

I find that Cannondale tend to have the value in the frame/forks at the cheaper end and the components are usually low to middle spec - but perfectly adequate until you start obsessing about bike weight reduction.

e.g sora groupset - which works like Ultegra of 3/4 years ago and is absolutely fine for most.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • ianbar
    mines a tiagra. i am very happy with the bike, it just got me wondering since i couldn't find any in shops etc. i have been looking at possible upgrades but don't really know what would be a worth while upgrade?
    enigma esprit
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Everyone will have different ideas but for me if everything works as it should I would keep it.

The single biggest upgrade is getting better at cycling/fitter etc. but if you are determined to spend some cash then wheels and tyres are the place to start.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • ianbar
    i will probably hang fire for a little while but keep an eye out really. i have plenty of other things i could do to spend money on never mind just wheels though it is tempting lol
    enigma esprit
  • houndlegs
    houndlegs Posts: 267
    I'd bet that if you didn't visit websites like this one,you wouldn't have any thoughts about changing the wheels. You say you really like the bike,ride it and enjoy it. If they ever break then replace with something better. Until then save you're cash :D
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    I'm looking at the CAAD8 myself at the moment and the rims are "Maddux" RS3.0.

Can't find anything about them online though, so I assume they're a custom-spec for Cannondale.
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • ianbar
    Whoops yeah they are maddux, that's working night shift for you! There are a couple of reasons I have been thinking about wheels. 1 it' will look nice, 2 they may make me faster? 3 the misses has given me the go ahead to spend a bit on gear :-) and 4 I have t go and have a new spoke put in the current wheel as it has broken, obviously I know that it is a lot cheaper to have a new spoke than new wheelset though lol but when things happen you do tend to ponder a change.
    enigma esprit