456SS v 456evo

DodgeT
DodgeT Posts: 2,255
edited April 2012 in MTB general
Just been having a look at the geo on these 2

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROO456SS/on_one_summer_season_steel_hardtail_frame_2011

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROO4561/on_one_456_evo_frame

Now, I thought that the SS was the slacker version of the original 456 and that the evo was an updated but very similar version to the std 456.
But.. looking at the geo, the HA is only 0.2 deg different and the SS is slightly longer than the EVO.
So, in real world terms, apart from the EVO being a tad shorter, what else seperates these 2 as I can't see too much difference?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    One is measured with a 150mm fork, the other a 120mm. The SS would be down at about 64.5 with the same fork!
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Geometry for the SS listed there is based on 120mm fork. The Evo is based on 150mm fork.

Evo with 150mm fork = 65.7
    SS with 150mm fork will be about 64ish. I can tell you now with 160mm SS stands for stupidly slack. It's on par with full on DH rig angles.
  • DodgeT
    Ah, seen that now you've pointed it out. Comparing the 18" versions, the 6mm diff in top tube and is neither here or there, but there is 19mm diff in reach, with the SS being longer. Is this likely to make much difference in the ride, a bit more stable I guess but the trade off being less "chuckable" ?

It'd be run prob with a 140mm fork, so yeah, seriously slack :)
  • supersonic
    I think 68 degrees is slack, need more input LOL!
  • DodgeT
    Might be too slack for the allrounder i'd like..
  • supersonic
    One thing with the OnOnes is that the seat angle is pretty middling/slack too. When seated many willl want to push the saddle forward on the rails to get a bit of weight over the front, and a more efficient position over the cranks. This somewhat negates that long top tube ie ETT will be effectively reduced. Not a bad thing for many though, but something to be aware of.
  • DodgeT
    I've had a std 456 before and really liked it. Since going FS in a big way (spesh enduro), I feel the need for a play hardtail, hence thinking of a 456 again, but wanting it to be capable of similar stuff to the enduro, so was thinking SS would be the answer. But... I would like it to be able to eat up the odd 20 miler peaks kind of ride too.
    I'd tried to get away from the C456 and i liked the idea of the SS built up nice and minimalist, 1 x 9 with chain device etc.. But i just don't know, too much choice :)