MTB ride within an hour of Southampton/Portsmouth

spdpug98
spdpug98 Posts: 112
edited April 2012 in MTB rides
It looks like I'll have a free Sunday next week and looking at riding somewhere different, I usually ride the trails at QECP at the weekend and head out on the Solent Path during the week for a normal ride-out but as I have a free day I am looking at trying somewhere different

In my old job I used to spend a lot of time in South Wales and rode at Afan quite a bit, but ideally looking for a ride within an hour or so of Southampton/Portsmouth

Any suggestions

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Lordswood.
  • spdpug98
    Lordswood.

I've heard about Lordswood before but believe you need to know where you're going to be able to find it and ride it, so I've never headed across - is it easy to find??
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Depends on where you start, but the Surrey hills and Swinley are both doable within an hour from Portsmouth and Southampton respectively (and less than 1 1/2 hours the other way round).
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • spdpug98
    benpinnick - Are there sign posted trails at Surrey Hills/Swinley

freezing - never even considered the IOW, maybe one for the future
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nope, no signs, but take a look in London Calling in rides - normally something happening both places most weekends - just post a time etc and you'll get a responce. Both places are best with someone who knows the areas.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • spdpug98
    cooldad wrote:
    Nope, no signs, but take a look in London Calling in rides - normally something happening both places most weekends - just post a time etc and you'll get a responce. Both places are best with someone who knows the areas.

Thanks, will put a post up
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Just FYI - depends on what sort of riding you want to dictate where you go. Surrey Hills is like a mini wales in the heart of surrey. Lots of amazing trails up and down hills that stretches over a wide area, covering 4 (or is it 5?) good size hills. Swinley on the other hand is a few thousand acres of comparatively flat forestry land (there are hills, but nothing like those in SH) but has mile upon mile of single track, and is handily self contained so you can ride for as long as you want then bail back to the car park that is never more than 15 minutes ride away. If I were making the trip, I would say SH is better, but having said that, SH is pretty crap unless you have someone to ride with who knows where they are going, where as Swinley is easy enough to just rock up and go with the flow - theres always tons of people around who wont mind you tagging along.

Depends where you come from as to which is closer. SH is about 15 mins from the A3 just the other side of guildford (Use Peaslake, GU5 9RR for directions), while Swinley is less than 10 mins off the M3 at J3 (RG12 7QW).
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • spdpug98
    benpinnick wrote:
    Just FYI - depends on what sort of riding you want to dictate where you go. Surrey Hills is like a mini wales in the heart of surrey. Lots of amazing trails up and down hills that stretches over a wide area, covering 4 (or is it 5?) good size hills. Swinley on the other hand is a few thousand acres of comparatively flat forestry land (there are hills, but nothing like those in SH) but has mile upon mile of single track, and is handily self contained so you can ride for as long as you want then bail back to the car park that is never more than 15 minutes ride away. If I were making the trip, I would say SH is better, but having said that, SH is pretty crap unless you have someone to ride with who knows where they are going, where as Swinley is easy enough to just rock up and go with the flow - theres always tons of people around who wont mind you tagging along.

Depends where you come from as to which is closer. SH is about 15 mins from the A3 just the other side of guildford (Use Peaslake, GU5 9RR for directions), while Swinley is less than 10 mins off the M3 at J3 (RG12 7QW).

Thanks, decisions decisions!!

I am slap bang in the middle of Southampton & Portsmouth so both about the same - SH sounds like a plan if I can hook up with someone
  • cooldad
    I'm sure someone will be riding. If you have Facebook check out the link in my sig. Quite a few of the guys use that to arrange rides instead of here.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    If you ride at QE then you might want to join the Kingley Vale Mountain Bikers and QE Trail Collective (apologies if you are on there already)... we ride QE, Kingley Vale, Whiteways, Lordswood, and Hindhead, so all local to you.

But definitely get the London Calling crew to show you round the Surrey Hills as it's a great day out... I've only been up there once with them, so we only did one corner of what's on offer - it's a big place with plenty of trails.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • spdpug98
    cooldad wrote:
    I'm sure someone will be riding. If you have Facebook check out the link in my sig. Quite a few of the guys use that to arrange rides instead of here.

I'm on Facebook, do I need to sign up or just post up on the page
    Bartimaeus wrote:
    If you ride at QE then you might want to join the Kingley Vale Mountain Bikers and QE Trail Collective (apologies if you are on there already)... we ride QE, Kingley Vale, Whiteways, Lordswood, and Hindhead, so all local to you.

But definitely get the London Calling crew to show you round the Surrey Hills as it's a great day out... I've only been up there once with them, so we only did one corner of what's on offer - it's a big place with plenty of trails.

I'm not on, but will sign up - I was going to join your last trail building session but forgot about it until I was riding and found the last part of the trail closed
  • cooldad
    Not sure if you can just post or have to join but if you push whatever button you need to join, I'll join you. Apologies if those are not the technical terms.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • spdpug98
    cooldad wrote:
    Not sure if you can just post or have to join but if you push whatever button you need to join, I'll join you. Apologies if those are not the technical terms.

I've just asked to join, will PM you my name so you know who I am