Specialized Secteur frame size?

jmorrisuk
jmorrisuk Posts: 8
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Hi

I'm having a bit of trouble trying to work out what frame size i need to get, i have been to my local shop and they haven't got any of the secteurs in stock and wont have for a few weeks apparently. I am planning on buying one off the internet as i have found a good deal on one unless i get a good offer from the classified section. I am 5'9 and a bit with a 32 inseam and not sure what size frame i need, according to the internet and the specialized info i am right between a 54 and a 56 frame so not sure what to get and what will be the major difference between them.

Any help would be great as i am really confused and don't want to get the wrong size.

Thanks

James

Comments

• nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    If it's any help I'm 5ft 7" with a 30" inseam and I ride a 54cm Allez which has slightly more aggressive geometry than the secteur, and I find it fits fine.

The main difference between the two frames will be the length of the top tube, with the 56cm frame this will be longer increasing the reach from the saddle to the handlebars.
  • I am 6 foot and 31 inseam and I ride a 58 Secteur and love it (56 felt too small) - try to get yourself to your nearest Concept Store and they should either have a test bike you can ride or will fit you:
    http://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/
  • bobgfish
    bobgfish Posts: 545
    Either will work. I am almost the same size and brought the 56cm. After riding it a year I swapped to the 54cm with a 10mm longer stem. I prefer the 54cm. Just feels quicker and easier to throw around.
  • jp1970
    jp1970 Posts: 134
    James

I'm the same height and inside leg as you... I've got the 54.... It fits like a glove.

I did try out the next size up (56?) it did seem slightly too big,

As 'bobfish' has mentioned the 54 will be easier to throw about !!!!

Remember you will also be able adjust fit with different stem length/ angle. It should come with a adjustable stem riser.

Cheers
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    The right answer is that you need to factor in your actual build (proportion of legs, torso, etc.)... but sod that, I agree with the other chaps in that the 54 sounds right. If you find that you can stretch out a bit more then adding a 110 stem and perhaps dropping a spacer or two will make the bike still fine. FWIW, I am 5'10 and have a 56...but I have never been convinced it is right and swapped the stem to a 90, which made the length about right but the bike just feels a little big (very rideable...just it feels like someone else's bike set up for me. then again, the head tube is stupidly big which does throw out the geometry).
  • tonye_n
    tonye_n Posts: 832
    If you are certainly 5'9" and 32 inseam, then the Secteur 54 is definitely the right and only fit for you.
    One of my bikes is a Spesh Roubaix which is same geometry as the Secteur. I am 5'8" with 32 inseam. Which means that you have a slightly longer torso than I.
    The effective top-tube length of the 54 Secteur is actually 54.8.

I had a proper BG-fit bike fit session at the Spesh Concept Store and I was advised to change to a 9cm stem instead of the standard 10cm because I was a bit stretched out. Just a tad, but it tells when you get to around the 25 mile mark and over. So a 54 will be just right for you.
  • Hi everyone

Just wanted to say thanks for the advice after looking into it and also having the chance to pop into a bike shop where i was working today and i have decided to get the 54 frame as it felt more comfortable than the 56. so now i am just hoping the place where i am to buy the bike still has that size in stock.

Thanks once again

James