Hardrock upgrade help!

Andyelson
Andyelson Posts: 14
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Thinking of upgrading stock stem and bars to 50mm warhead stem black and answer protaper 760mm bars half inch rise in red
Does this sound like a good upgrade to put on my red and white hardrock for trail riding?

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Dunno. Sounds different, not really an upgrade.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Is it just colour you are wanting to upgrade, or some sort of performance ie stiffer/lighter/stronger/feel etc?
  • Andyelson
    More to get down trails faster
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Bars won't do that. Wheels might. Get some red ones, they will.
  • Andyelson
    Would i get better handling, whats the trade off for having a shorter stem and wider bars?
  • specialeyes
    specialeyes Posts: 542
    Is there something wrong with your current set up? Do you feel stretched out? I run 65mm stem and 760mm bars on my hardrock but I tried a few different stem lengths first (from mates and cheap ebay tat) to get the right feel. The bars I figured I could cut down if I needed to.

Also practice will get you down the trail quicker! :wink:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Is your bike standard in every respect, what exact model/year, bars and stem may make it easier to go faster, but the bike won't BE any faster, many hardrocks have lousy forks, they are likely to be a better upgrade, as are lighter wheels or better tyres.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Andyelson
    Ive upgraded tyres, got sum v8 pedal, everything else is standard, just want to keep upgrading bits, i want to widen the bars but il have to get a new stem due to 31.8 bars after that brakes to hydraulic and new forks and wheels.
  • Andyelson
    What stem did u go for on your hardrock speacial eyes and i ride a hardrock sport disc 2011
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Upgrading the forks should be your next step. This will make a huge difference.
  • specialeyes
    specialeyes Posts: 542
    I went with a 'Kore b52' I got it for 12 quid off ebay brand new. See link in Sig.

I would do what sonic suggests though, that's the first upgrade that I did anyway. :wink:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    what exact model/year
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    I fitted a new fork to mine - link here:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12845586&p=17548117#p17548117

I was very lucky - mine came from the shop with Rockhopper gearing, probably because it was one of the last ones made and they didn't have the right bits on the shelf, but I'd still have upgraded the fork first. It makes it into the bike it always should have been, and you can get some great deals on forks - mine's a Rockshox Recon. I also fitted a shorter stem for a bit more comfort.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    what exact model/year
    Andyelson wrote:
    i ride a hardrock sport disc 2011
    does that tell you ?
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    supersonic wrote:
    Upgrading the forks should be your next step. This will make a huge difference.
    +1, get the important stuff first
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011