Replace Chain Rings or Upgrade

rsmtri
rsmtri Posts: 12
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey all, I have a Trek 6700 with original Shimano Deore XT. Have loads of miles some long events in grit, mud, wet, sand. The chainrings are pretty much done and need to be replaced. Based on some of your experience, is it better for me to upgrade the set or just replace the rings? Also, do rear derailleurs in MTB die and need replacing or do they usually go due to damage?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    What XT version is it?

Mechs generally last till you trash them somehow. Just check the alignment and the pivot points are pretty solid
  • replace chainrings with middleburn will be a vast improvement also check the jockey wheels in the rear mech as they can affect shifting when on the way out
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nothing wrong with Shimano rings. Shop around though often a crankset is a similar price to a set of rings.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    cooldad wrote:
    Shop around though often a crankset is a similar price to a set of rings.

Plus you can then shift on the old set via ebay in order to recover some cash.
  • rsmtri
    rsmtri Posts: 12
    What XT version is it?

Mechs generally last till you trash them somehow. Just check the alignment and the pivot points are pretty solid

Thanks. The pivot point raised a question as I am getting chain suck, but I think think is because the chain is new (broke it) and the rings are really worn. I read about moving the p-spring adjustment, but that sounded like a lot of work for something that may not be needed.

For the other comment, I have replace the jockey wheels a couple of times - I ride a lot in crap weather/conditions although I clean every time seems these are pretty cheap.