Have I totalled my GP 4 Seasons?

gingermagician
gingermagician Posts: 326
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Looking for a bit of advice on tyre integrity after giving my 25mm GP 4 Seasons a real going over on the Rapha 'Hell of the North' ride yesterday.

I had four punctures during the ride, so decided to get the tyres off the rim today to check for foreign bodies, etc that I may have introduced while repairing in pretty filthy conditions. When checking the inner surface of the tyres I found 2 or 3 entry points on each that correspond with the bigger external cuts - not huge (2-3mm tops) and not so deep that the weave of the protective belt has been completely compromised, but they are noticeable when you look closely. No tube sticking through or anything daft like that, obviously, but still slightly concerning.

Do you reckon I'll still be ok to ride on these? At what point does everyone else junk their tyres in terms of punctures (rather than wear)?

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I junk a tyre if they are cut straight through i.e. usually you can see the inner, or when then are simply puncturing too often.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • rpd_steve
    rpd_steve Posts: 361
    If its minor - i.e. only seen under close inspection then open the split by hand, put some super glue in and let it close again before it drys. For slightly more major issues you can put a punture repair patch on the inside of the tyre - or if its right through then bin it.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    if I cut a tyre badly I patch the inside of the tyre, same way you would a tube, works very well. Done 1500 miles on a tyre that flatted on me a month or two ago with a big cut.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Thanks for the responses gents, think I'm going to give the internal patching a go - should at least slow the general dirt & grit working it's way through. Tyres have loads of wear left in them, so don't want to bin them off completely.

Anyway, I've fitted a set of Ultremo DDs I picked up for a good price a couple of months ago for tomorrow's ride - touch wood, I won't have any of the more extreme problems that have been reported on here...